Saturday Mullet

Norm B

:clap2: With the fantastic weather were having at the moment I decided to target the mullet

and try a new bait out. It's a type of bread in various flavours which stays on the hook better than bread, the name is in foreign but if you have a look at www.sharnbrooktackle.com you'll find it. I didn't do a proper test because I only had the "bread", no ordinary bread so I couldn't compare it. I had cheese and natural flavour. I baited up one rod with the cheese flavour and dropped it down and stated to make up my other rod for the bread flavour bread. I'd just stared to put the line through the rings when the rod with the cheese bread slid along the railings and the butt lifted 2 feet off the ground, I grabbed the rod and held on while the fish on the end went swimabout. I thought "this could be a new PB for me". Well about 5 minutes later a nice bass of about 6lb was in my dropnet, I quickly removed the size 6 hook from its lip and returned it from whence it came. I rebaited and carried on rigging my other rod. Just as I was tying on the hook the rod bounced and the line went slack, I wound down and hit a very lively fish, after a short fight a bass of about 3.5lb was in the dropnet, I knocked it on the head to teach it a lesson, don't take my mullet bait again, I said. Just joking BASS members, I unhooked it and put it back as we are on chicken salad for dinner tonight and I'm taking my wife out to dinner tomorrow so we didn't need it to eat. I then decided that one rod would be enough as the fish were obliging. I changed the bait to bread flavoured bread and immediately had a mullet bite, a few minutes later a tiddler of about 2.5lb was in the dropnet. Next drop down and a few tentative plucks resulted in rod bending fight before a better mullet of between 3.5 and 4lb was in the net. It went a bit quiet then with just a few plucks and then the tide started to run so I went home. I'm not saying this bread is a new super bait as I could, maybe, have caught just as much or more on ordinary bread, I'll let you know when I've compared the two, side by side. :clap2:

What a great session Norm. Good to know that those fish are still swimming around for you to catch next time to :thumbs:

I think many of us give bass to much credit sometimes. Expensive baits, lures, flies when all you need is cheesey bread paste!!

What a great session Norm. Good to know that those fish are still swimming around for you to catch next time to :thumbs:

I think many of us give bass to much credit sometimes. Expensive baits, lures, flies when all you need is cheesey bread paste!!

:clap2: My biggest shore caught bass, 13lb 9oz, 13lb 5 1/8oz on certified scales 1 hour later was caught on chicken skin and was reported in all the angling mags and won me 3 reels and a £40 cheque. Years later people were still asking me, "what did you really catch it on", they just didn't believe it. I proved to one of the "unbelievers" that you could catch fish on anything if you "educated" them. I groundbaited a swim in Portsmouth harbour with hard boiled chickens eggs for a week, I then took him there and free lined a hard boiled egg, within minutes I had a 3lb+ bass in the net and a few more during the session, he's now a believer. :clap2:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Aug 6 2007, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:clap2: My biggest shore caught bass, 13lb 9oz, 13lb 5 1/8oz on certified scales 1 hour later was caught on chicken skin and was reported in all the angling mags and won me 3 reels and a £40 cheque. Years later people were still asking me, "what did you really catch it on", they just didn't believe it. I proved to one of the "unbelievers" that you could catch fish on anything if you "educated" them. I groundbaited a swim in Portsmouth harbour with hard boiled chickens eggs for a week, I then took him there and free lined a hard boiled egg, within minutes I had a 3lb+ bass in the net and a few more during the session, he's now a believer. :clap2:

:clap2: Genius!

I wonder if you could feed the bass up on ginger and spring onion so that they are pre-seasoned? ... Just kidding.

I used to dive in the Red Sea alot and folks used to hand feed huge Napoleon Wrasse with boiled eggs. But it was really bad for them apparently?

Chicken skin.. brilliant :)

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Aug 6 2007, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:clap2: My biggest shore caught bass, 13lb 9oz, 13lb 5 1/8oz on certified scales 1 hour later was caught on chicken skin and was reported in all the angling mags and won me 3 reels and a £40 cheque. Years later people were still asking me, "what did you really catch it on", they just didn't believe it. I proved to one of the "unbelievers" that you could catch fish on anything if you "educated" them. I groundbaited a swim in Portsmouth harbour with hard boiled chickens eggs for a week, I then took him there and free lined a hard boiled egg, within minutes I had a 3lb+ bass in the net and a few more during the session, he's now a believer. :clap2:

:clap2: Genius!

I wonder if you could feed the bass up on ginger and spring onion so that they are pre-seasoned? ... Just kidding.

I used to dive in the Red Sea alot and folks used to hand feed huge Napoleon Wrasse with boiled eggs. But it was really bad for them apparently?

Chicken skin.. brilliant :)

:clap2: I dived off Cyprus and if you opened a packet of crisps underwater all sorts of fish would feed out of the packet and grouper would eat boiled eggs. :clap2: