Catch Report Data: Thoughts?

Steve Walker

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been to sea today fishing hard after massive blow last friday,we 60mile round trip caught cod pollock,ling no big licks tryed to explain to one guy that the conditions were making it hard to catch fish due to dirty water, it wasnt the fish werent there it was we just couldnt catch them then in his next breath he said well where have all the fish gone they arent biting i just shook my head and took another tablet.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

New rods, reels and a floaty suit that was first time on, right out of the bag... sounds like me at Scrabster a few weeks ago

Haven't blanked the last 3 times I've been out and hope to get out a bit more.

I know what you're saying though, some folk just want to catch all the time and don't understand that fish mmove or are just not in the mood to feed.

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

david i can tell you fishing of a boat is all about conditions,if you are drifting wrecking or ground fishing you must have good water clarety for uptiding dirty water is best, you would think if you were bait fishing wrecks in dirty water you would catch fish wrong you still need clear water if you are baiting or pirking ,jellying etc it seems to be a mystery as why this accurs you would think smell would be the factor yes true but the water still has to be clear very strange .

Untitled-1.jpg

worzel still catching those big cod i hope,what we are doing when wrecking is drifting i have though about anchoring the wrecks in dirty water but tryed uptiding past 80ft you just dont seem to get anything strange but true.

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest jay_con

Never say never though. That day I came with you and we uptided deep (could see the church at lythe) then we came in and tried the ground at uptrook and that salty place and only caught 2 fish all day. So perhaps other factors were at play that day rather than not being able to uptide in deep water. Would thinner line diameter help?

Do they not anchor in deep water in other areas?

If someone had said to you in the 90's that in 10 years time you would be using rubber eals you would have laughed in thier face?

Guest jay_con

big_cod:

fISHING can vary day to day its all about conditions especialy where cod are concerned you have to be in the right place at the right time, loads one day none the next it takes a good judgement to put you in the top spots in the right conditions as spring will tell you.

A slight increase in swell, a slight decrease (often unnoticable to most folk), Tide an hour later giving more flood into darkness, a slight increase or decrease in tide size, High pressure - low pressure, water colour, Long distance swell or localised swell, how long the swell has been running ( a couple of hours can make all the difference). All these can make 1 day or even 1 tide very different to the next or last.