water depth help

Andykelly

Some good advice given above.

Where abouts do you live? someone from here may live close and be able to offer you and the lad some coaching?

Has the pond, you are fishing, got any reed in the margins?

If there are , plumb the depth there tight up to the reeds and also about a 18" away from them up to the length of your whip to both sides of you.

Mark your line for both depths with a bit of tipex.

Flick 3-4 maggots and lay your float in on the top of maggots.

You' ll soon get the hang of laying it in and throwing maggots in at the same time :)

Don't forget that you have two swims so always feed both and alternate between them.

When you start to get bites regularly, flick in a couple of maggots with every bite and at every cast , flick in a bit of sweetcorn.

6-7 grains is enough.

Keep fishing the maggot and feeding maggot but every 5-6 bites or casts feed 4-5 grains of corn.

After about 3/4 put a piece of corn on add an extra 1" to the depth of the float and give that 10 minutes.

No bites , then go back on the maggots give that another 15 minutes and then go back on the corn for 10 minutes.

You should catch plenty of Roach and Perch doing that plus the chance of a bonus Tench or Carp.

Let us know how you get on, we would all love to hear.

Keith

The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.

Has the pond, you are fishing, got any reed in the margins?

If there are , plumb the depth there tight up to the reeds and also about a 18" away from them up to the length of your whip to both sides of you.

Mark your line for both depths with a bit of tipex.

Flick 3-4 maggots and lay your float in on the top of maggots.

You' ll soon get the hang of laying it in and throwing maggots in at the same time :)

Don't forget that you have two swims so always feed both and alternate between them.

When you start to get bites regularly, flick in a couple of maggots with every bite and at every cast , flick in a bit of sweetcorn.

6-7 grains is enough.

Keep fishing the maggot and feeding maggot but every 5-6 bites or casts feed 4-5 grains of corn.

After about 3/4 put a piece of corn on add an extra 1" to the depth of the float and give that 10 minutes.

No bites , then go back on the maggots give that another 15 minutes and then go back on the corn for 10 minutes.

You should catch plenty of Roach and Perch doing that plus the chance of a bonus Tench or Carp.

Let us know how you get on, we would all love to hear.

Keith

Thanks for info there are not many reeds what does margins mean.I am going this evening for a couple of hours what time do you guys think is the best time .

cheers

Thanks for info there are not many reeds what does margins mean.I am going this evening for a couple of hours what time do you guys think is the best time .

cheers

It depends on what is in the pond, although normally the hour just before it gets dark is good. Bream, tench and carp will all start feeding during that period of time.

"Plumbing the depth" just means putting a weight big enough to sink your float right next to (or on) the hook. You can buy a special weight called a plummet for this purpose, which has a piece of cork in it to hold your hook, or you can simply squeeze a big shot on. Then lower this in your swim. If the lead sits on the bottom it won't drag the float under. This shows that your float is set too deep. If the float dissappears it means it is set too shallow. Adjust the float until just the tip shows as it would in normal fishing. You then know the exact depth of the swim (or at least that part of it!) You can then take the plummet off, shot the float correctly and adjust the depth further to suit whatever bait you are using. I like to fish maggots about half an inch off the bottom. Very soft baits like paste I prefer to fish just touching the bottom so they don't fall off the hook. 99% of my float fishing is done on or near the bottom, because that is where I aim the groundbait to end up. Very occasionally I'll bring the fish up in the water but I don't really like to do it.