water depth help

Andykelly

Hi im new to this but i took my 5 year old son to our local pond on sunday .Ive never been fishing before .I managed to get some limited info on the basics so i gave it a go .We are using a 4 foot whip with a standard float and hook that came with it nothing else.Anyway we went yesterday with a few maggots and managed to catch 2 perch in about a hour .My son wants me to take him again this evening but i was wondering if you guys had any more tips .I wanted to know if my line has to be a certain depth or is there a general rule on how deep perch normally feed just to give my a idea of how deep to go .Also i have no idea how deep the pond is so how do i find out. Also we used maggots yesterday are they the best to use and how much should i give them .Please any more info that might help us catch more fish will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance

Guest Brumagem Phil

To find the depth you use a plummet which is basically just a lead weight with a bit of cork on it to put your hook into (you could use a big blob of plastice though if you dont have one). The idea is that you cast it to your desired spot and adjust the float until the float just manages to get to the surface.........you then have the depth of your pond.

Doing this over various areas will show you any features on the bottom too like hollows or mounds.

I'm no float fishing expert but varying your depth to find the feeding fish sounds like a good idea.

Phils right, and if you look in his 'Fishing can be so cruel' thread, you will see some useful advice on shotting the float.

Did you make a typo in the length of the whip? Should it be 4 metres not 4 feet? :unsure:

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

To find the depth you use a plummet which is basically just a lead weight with a bit of cork on it to put your hook into (you could use a big blob of plastice though if you dont have one). The idea is that you cast it to your desired spot and adjust the float until the float just manages to get to the surface.........you then have the depth of your pond.

Doing this over various areas will show you any features on the bottom too like hollows or mounds.

I'm no float fishing expert but varying your depth to find the feeding fish sounds like a good idea.

yes 4 meters.anyone got any tips once i find the depth on the best depth to fish at cheers for reply so far

yes 4 meters.anyone got any tips once i find the depth on the best depth to fish at cheers for reply so far

Try fishing on the bottom initially, if you setup your float correctly then you will have shots at intervals down the line below the float. You should get used to the movement of the float as it settles down in the water, if the float doesn;t settle as you would expect it means something has taken the bait as it drops through the water and you should strike. You may also want to fish shallower if this is happening.

Errrm

Try fishing on the bottom initially, if you setup your float correctly then you will have shots at intervals down the line below the float. You should get used to the movement of the float as it settles down in the water, if the float doesn;t settle as you would expect it means something has taken the bait as it drops through the water and you should strike. You may also want to fish shallower if this is happening.

Errrm

thanks what bait should i use on the hook and should i be throwing extra bait in to attract the fish. and how much.Ive been told there are alot of big carp in the pond i could see them turning on top of water is there any chance i would catch one of them bad boys.

It may be a little expensive to start with, but if you buy a couple of ready made pole rigs from your local tackle shop, along with a plumet and disgorger and you'll have all you need to get started.

Set the depth on the rigs as described by Brumagem Phil, and have a look at just how the rigs are made up, line, float attachment, shot positions etc so that later on you'll be able to buy the bits and peices and make up similar rigs yourself a lot more cheaply.

If teaching kids I'd also suggest making sure the rigs have barbless hooks - they WILL hook both you and themselves several times. I know this one from experience!

Set up the whip, and set the depth using your plumet so the hook is just about touching the bottom

put one or two maggots on the hook (just nick them lightly at the blunt end)

cast out

throw 5-6 maggots around the float and wait for a bite.

if you don't get a bite in a few mins, lift out, check the bait is ok, re-cast and put in another 5-6 maggots.

A steady trickle of loose maggots going through the swim should soon attract fish and lead to plenty of bites!

Mat

Mat

It may be a little expensive to start with, but if you buy a couple of ready made pole rigs from your local tackle shop, along with a plumet and disgorger and you'll have all you need to get started.

Set the depth on the rigs as described by Brumagem Phil, and have a look at just how the rigs are made up, line, float attachment, shot positions etc so that later on you'll be able to buy the bits and peices and make up similar rigs yourself a lot more cheaply.

If teaching kids I'd also suggest making sure the rigs have barbless hooks - they WILL hook both you and themselves several times. I know this one from experience!

Set up the whip, and set the depth using your plumet so the hook is just about touching the bottom

put one or two maggots on the hook (just nick them lightly at the blunt end)

cast out

throw 5-6 maggots around the float and wait for a bite.

if you don't get a bite in a few mins, lift out, check the bait is ok, re-cast and put in another 5-6 maggots.

A steady trickle of loose maggots going through the swim should soon attract fish and lead to plenty of bites!

Mat

cheers are the pole rigs standard size and is the hook a standard size if not what size should i use im using a 4 meter whip.cheers