West Bexington mackerel ??

Jackcatcher

Hi all

Being fairly new to this forum and basically from a coarse fishing background – I’m hoping one of you out there can help me.

Since spending a few days last year spinning for mackerel at West Bexington on Chesil Beach and having great fun, my 12 yr old daughter (and her grandfather!) have been plaguing me with requests to go again. Last years sessions were in June and August, but can any one tell me if the mackerel are around in any numbers now. They want to go this coming weekend but as it’s a 2 ½ hour drive each way - I don’t want them (or me) to be disappointed.

Last year I set them up with Dexter wedges on carp rods which seemed to be fairly successful, both in enabling casting distance and in attracting fish – any other suggestion for lures/spinners from this beach – I assume Bass may also be present.?

Hope some one can help

Many thanks in advance

Jim

hi i fished there a couple of weeks ago and caught a few but they were not there in terrific nos . i to will be using the dexter wedge this year ; i also use barbless hooks so any undersize fish can be shaken back in .

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

That end of the beach is a lot shallower than the Portland end.

At Abbotsbury, only a mile or two, away, low tide usually needs a really long cast to find them, especially in daylight.

Just as it'd getting light in the morning is the time to find them close to shore but it is a bit early in the year yet.

High tide about 6-7 am a little later in the year should do you OK.

I had 2 on my first cast at the Portland end of the beach at about 8 pm yesterday, then nothing for another 3 casts, when I started bottom fishing.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Having fished out of Dartmouth over an extended weekend, I can state that the mackeral are starting to show there in numbers? The shoals sould have made their way across Lyme bay by now?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

I was out in my dingy from Lyme at the weekend, loads there bigguns too but in quite deep water, saying that Ive caught them off Cogdon before now in March, so you can never tell!

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Jackcatcher, there were quite a few mackerel being caught at Abbotsbury this morning and evening.

I had about 30 in the morning in as many casts, and about the same in the evening, but they were a little thinner in the water.

The ones I caught were a long way out, but the fixed-spool people were having a few so some were closer.

I don't know what was caught in the middle of the day around low water, and I don't know how close they were at daybreak. I was a little late getting there.

Weather not so nice tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

[ 03. May 2004, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

• 6 years later...