Match Fishing Advice

Elton

Posted on behalf of Jo. Please add all replies to this thread:

I have entered a small match in memory of my cousin who died recently. I will be fishing a very small pond that was a pit water reserve, i am unsure of the fish stocked but presume it will be roach perch and poss the odd tench. I am used to fishing commercial waters and I am a beginner. could anyone give me tips as to what groundbait, bait and tactics I would use on a venue I do not know. I generally use a wagler set up as i have not graduated to pole yet. thanks for any help, it will be appreciated.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

If it's a very small pond, then there's a chance that groundbait might be banned, check first.

Look for a feature, (weed, over hanging trees),and plumb the depth to find any variations in depth that fish might find interesting.

I would loose feed maggots or casters, little and often. In warm weather that can mean a dozen or so, every minute or two.

Fish a lot lighter than you would on a commercial, small waggler, size 18-20 hook to a 1 or 1.5 bs hook length.

If groundbait is allowed, then mix it to form a cloud when put in, and no more than golf ball sized with a few hook baits in it.

Start on the bottom, using a slow sinking shot pattern, then gradually shallow off, if the fish are taking on the drop.

Keep bankside disturbance to a minimum, and you stand a good chance of catching in the margins. If the fishing is very slow, then a larger bait such as bread or worm, fished in the margins can produce one or two of the bigger fish, such as a tench or bigger perch.

Good Luck

John.

P.S. Forgive me for laughing at the "I have not graduated to the pole yet", comment.

The pole is just a method that sometimes beats other methods, and sometimes doesn't. It's not a 'super' method that we all aspire to, just another way of fishing.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

In fact Ive always found the pole to be far easier than running line!

Any way back to the question.The best bet if you can is to obviously go and have a couple of sesssions on the water in question before the match.Another is to go and watch a match on the water.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The art of match fishing is to watch other anglers see what they are doing.

Sometimes throwing in ground bait can kill a swim, especially if matches are common on this lake/pond

I tend to use 6mm pellets on a size 18 using a pellet band.

Fish about 12feet out in front to start with, feeding 6 to 10 pellets every five minutes, and at the same time throw another 6 - 10 pellets in the margins close to you.

If you get nothing in front, come in close to the margins where you have thrown the pellets.

Keep feeding 6 - 10 pellets in various places.

Sometimes by moving your bait slowly can induce a bite, Carp seem to like slow moving baits.

Once the fish have confidence in the bait, which can take 30mins then its a case of a fish a cast.

In match fishing going for the biggest fish is not advisable, by the time you have landed 1 x 15Lb carp you could have landed and unhooked 4 x 5Lb carp.

If you can lie on the floor without holding on, then you’re not drunk.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.