choosing a fly rod.

Guest tigger

Guest tigger

Is there such a thing as an all round fly rod ?

I'm thinkin of buying a fly rod but with no specific species in mind. Can anyone recommend a rod and what would be the best lenght and strength for an all rounder if there's such a thing that is.

Oh I forgot to mention a decent reel to go with it.

Edited by tigger

I'm thinkin of buying a fly rod but with no specific species in mind. Can anyone recommend a rod and what would be the best lenght and strength for an all rounder if there's such a thing that is.

You really need to think where you will be using it,ie river or lakes and for what.

I suppose a 7 weight 9-10ft would cover most stillwater situations or a 6/7 weight.Could use a 6 on rivers if needed.Small streams would require in many instances a shorter and lighter rod.

Get to a tackle shop and try out a few.

Reels need not cost a fortune.I used a shakespeare Alpha for quite a while and it was fine,infact better than some far more expensive reels.The choice is mind boggling,a large arbour reel is a help,helps reduce line memory.Not too keen on the Lureflash reels,cheapenough,but had problems with mine and Airflo reel as well.I now have 'Bloke reels' which are around £135

and am more than happy with them.

Greys,Scieera and okuma all produce decent reels.Have a look around ebay

Good advice from Chubby, Tigger All I would add is make sure you rod has a middle to tip action as opposed to a super tippy rod that wont be very forgiving to the occasional fly fisherman, Dont skrimp on your Line and there aint a lot in the uk a 7wt rod wont tame :thumbs:

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Ive just got myself a lureflash viper rod 6-7 weight 9'6" i got it at a good price on e-bay, it is a great rod for the price, much nicer to use than any of the renter rods ive used that cost more to buy!

i know chuby doesnt like lureflash reels but i also just picked up a full lureflash mercury reel and spool set second hand, fully loaded with some floating, sinking and intermediate lines for £15 im on a really tight budget so im really happy, and i find its balanced to the rod well, so my arm doesnt ache so much.

i am only a beginner but i'll certainly back up the big guns in saying the line quality matters, i was using a cheepo the other day, 5 hours 2 bites, i should have changed sooner, as with my better quality line the presentation is soooo much better, first cast first fish, proper job!

spug

Guest tigger

Thank's foir your reply's chaps they're appreciated. I've taken on board what you've advised and am on the look out for some takle.

cheers

Tigger.