Fishing Books for Beginners

Randalicous

Hello.

I am new to this forum and indeed fishing. Been twice and thorughly enjoyed it, even if my hook was empty on more than one strikes. What im after is a good book that will explain to me the very very basics of coarse fishing. Ive got one book by John Wilson about complete coarse fishing but i find that some of the bits in there are a little in depth for me. I want something to tell me how to plumb depth, what differant size hooks and lb lines are for.......Right to the very start of what I need to know....

Can anyone recommend such a book. I saw one on amazon by Steve Partner which got good reviews, has anyone got this.

Thanks For your help on my very first post here.

Steve.

Welcome to Anglers Net Steve,

when I was rediscovering angling some years back I found these two books quite helpful, they aren't the most up to date but cover the basics quite comprehensively.

The complete guide to fishing skills by Tony Whieldon

John Wilsons Coarse fishing method manual

To be honest it may be a better bet to get yourself down to the newsagents and pick up a copy of 'Improve your coarse fishing' magazine published monthly by emap.

Aside from that, this forum is as good a place as any to ask any amount of seemingly daft questions and you can expect answers to be forthcoming.

Don't be shy ask away... and tightlines.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

I learnt most of my stuff growing up from The Concise Encyclopedia of Fishing: Coarse, Sea and Fly-Fishing

by Gareth Purnell (Author), Alan Yates (Author), Chris Dawn (Author).

A good introduction to fishing imo but I felt it needed a few more diagrams. Good though.

Edit: I've just found it and have had look through it. Quite a few memories coming back! Just realised there's a photo of Anglers Net's very own Steve Burke on the Perch page!

Edited by bingo

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

There's a few copies of the last one mentioned on here, pretty cheap too.

I'll leave you to look for the others, just go back to the Abebooks home page and start again.

I remember a couple of years back, i bought a Kingfisher beginners set from Argos for about £20. Included in that was a small booklet giving a run-down on the basics of float fishing and legering, it was of real use to both me and the kids. I still use it now !