PORTABLE FISH FINDERS

scale

CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME ANY INFORMATION ON PORTABLE FISHFINDERS. i HAVE A HOBIE MIRAGE OUTBACK AND IM LOOKING FOR A FISHFINDER TO GO ON IT, I DONT REALLY WANT TO START DRILLING HOLES IN IT AT THE MOMENT. WHICH DOU YOU THINK IS THE BEST ONE TO GO FOR AND ALSO WHERE ABOUTS DO YOU THINK IS THE BEST PLACE TO STICK THE SUCTION CUP, IS IT ON THE SIDE OF THE BOAT OR INSIDE THE KAYAK PLACED ON THE HULL BARE IN MIND I HAVE FINS POWERING THE BOAT IN THE MIDDLE. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT THANKS

Wow! no need to shout :rolleyes:

Had an Eagle Cuda 128 once,would only recommend it to my worst enemy

hope that helps :thumbs:

me-I wouldn't go for portable,but if you must what about the Piranna max from Humminbird?

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Wow! no need to shout :rolleyes:

Had an Eagle Cuda 128 once,would only recommend it to my worst enemy

hope that helps :thumbs:

me-I wouldn't go for portable,but if you must what about the Piranna max from Humminbird?

I have the piranamax portable and had nothing but problems lately. It's just a standard model fitted to a battery housing and it comes with a suction mount which can be purchased as an option. Cheaper and easier to make a portable.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME ANY INFORMATION ON PORTABLE FISHFINDERS. i HAVE A HOBIE MIRAGE OUTBACK AND IM LOOKING FOR A FISHFINDER TO GO ON IT, I DONT REALLY WANT TO START DRILLING HOLES IN IT AT THE MOMENT. WHICH DOU YOU THINK IS THE BEST ONE TO GO FOR AND ALSO WHERE ABOUTS DO YOU THINK IS THE BEST PLACE TO STICK THE SUCTION CUP, IS IT ON THE SIDE OF THE BOAT OR INSIDE THE KAYAK PLACED ON THE HULL BARE IN MIND I HAVE FINS POWERING THE BOAT IN THE MIDDLE. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT THANKS

WELCOME SCALE :D Not sure if you are new to the internet, but typing in Block Capitals can be taken as shouting by other users.

Let us know which model you go for, I'm looking for a portable solution myself.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I've got the Humminbird Piranhamax 215 Portable. Seems ok, but waves hitting full force on the back has given me condensation problems I need to get sorted out, Johnson Outdoors have offered (immediately and before I contacted them) to sort it out but I just haven't got over there yet.

To the unit - yes, it's got a suction cup attachment. I don't use it, as I don't think it's any use for a kayak. I may be wrong but I felt it wouldn't hold (on my hull anyway). So, transducer is siliconed inside the hull. You can lead the wires out to the unit via the front hatch and into the unit, no drilling required and I did just that until recently - but how are you going to keep the unit in place? The first hole I drilled was to fit the finder. You can of course bungee, tape or whatever the finder in place but for a permanent attachment you will need to drill. I made up something onto which I can attach my unit with a butterfly nut.

Advantage of the portable unit - AA batteries and no complicated (to me) wiring, battery sourcing etc etc. Disadvantages - not as pretty and the bulk may get in the way of others (doesn't bother me though). I'm pleased with it though, so far.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

I use a Humminbird RF10 which I bought off ebay for £50.

The transducer is a float which I simply tie to my paddle retainer with some 50 pound nylon and drop into the water when I get to an area that I want to "survey".

The unit itself seems pretty water-tight. I rest it on the "centre-console" of my kayak and tie it by the handle to one of the pad-eyes that came with the kayak. The unit takes 8 AA batteries which have a pretty long life even when I am fishing at dusk and need to use the backlight.

It works well for my limited needs. I think it has limited depth capabilities (100 feet as I recall but I am usually fishing in no more than 30 feet) and the transducer has to be replaced for about £15 once the battery in it has run out (200 hours as I recall). To be honest I really only use it to tell me the depth as I drift over the reefs rather than to highlight fish or particular features.

I bought it because I too didn't want to go to the trouble of drilling holes and dealing with "complicated" electrics. One day i may take the plunge and upgrade to a fixed unit with mounted transducer and battery but for now I am very happy with it.

I believe the RF10 has now been replaced by the RF15. There is even a wrist-mounted model which I did consider but it would be difficult to read while paddling!

Hope that helps

Mike

Yeah sorry for the capital letters this was my first post didd'nt realise that it ment I was shouting. thanks for all your replys they have given me some good ideas. I was thinking about a lawrence x-52 portable, i have just found a bracket on an american website which would be perfect for my kayak. im going to try and find photos on the internet of some rigged up kayaks with fishfinders to give me some idea of the setup. thanks for all your help.

Yeah sorry for the capital letters this was my first post didd'nt realise that it ment I was shouting. thanks for all your replys they have given me some good ideas. I was thinking about a lawrence x-52 portable, i have just found a bracket on an american website which would be perfect for my kayak. im going to try and find photos on the internet of some rigged up kayaks with fishfinders to give me some idea of the setup. thanks for all your help.

Hi mate :thumbs:

Not decrying portables at all but I would plump a few extra quid and get a traditional fishfinder (whatever make, you fancy!) They really are worlds apart when it comes to what you can "see" on the return on the screen!. Forget silly fish symbols. Look at the sea / lake / river bed structure! Small fish hide here, big fish chase em! simple!. One of the finder makers have a saying......find the structure, find the fish! By structure I mean whatever species you are looking for will be at different structure locations. Sandeels will be at sandbars (Bass will chase em) Pollock and Wrasse will be among rocks and crevices. The "bigger" finders really do show the bottom features well and thats what you are looking for!. I actually have a gps through mine but to be honest I just paddle towards my mark and when I see the rocky bottom / kelp that is my local fish holding area I am there :thumbs:

Like Mark Crame pointed out you do not need to drill holes! The cables can go through the hatch and the rubber seal will keep it dry in there. The "electronics" are: 2 wires to battery, transducer is already attached to the finder. Bingo you are done! hardly complicated! You can mount the "screen" to a piece of wood / plastic and hold it on your deck by bungies etc if you want or look at some of the cracking ideas guys on here have used (search for fishfinder installation etc). stick the ducer to the inside of yer hull in a big blob of mastic (easilly removable, and great therapy peeling it off if you want to move it ha ha!)

The "rod mounted" h/birds are a bit gimmicky IMO (don't shoot me!!) but are fine if you like em. It is just that they are £100 plus! and you can get a good full size (I am avoiding the word "real") finder for really just a few quid more (5 or 10 quid!) and I think you will migrate to one eventually when you see others with them. Take your time choosing as you don't "need" one ha ha!.

All the best............SDD~~~~~ :sun: