shock leader

jimba

I will be trying beach fishing for the first time next week and have just bought a rod and reel.

The reel came preloaded with line of about 20 lb.Do I need to use a shock leader?.I've looked at a few web sites for info on getting started and they all recommend using it but my local tackle shop owner said I won't need it.I'm using leads from 90 to 110g and a 12ft beach-caster with fixed spool reel.

:thumbs:

:fishing1:

Guest sandpipper

Hi jimba, back in the 70`s and nearly killing my best mate with a 6oz wieght full belt square in the face i now always use a shock leader, it was a simple cast off the ground the bail arm flipped shut and the line cracked off, if it had been someone else walking passed i could have been in deep poo poo, so yes for your sake and everyone elses use them, as a rule i use 50lb shock leader for 5oz and 60lb for 6oz leads.Tony

Your tackle shop owner will not be standing there when it cracks off, but I am surprised he failed in his duties as a shop owner in not selling it to you whether you required it or not, he is letting all us retailers down and giving us a bad reputation :rolleyes::D

As you are just starting out it is of the up most importance this is just the period when you are a} trying to prove a point by casting to the horizon b} Most likely to cockup

Where are you going fishing? I will make sure I avoid that area :lol:

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Hi Jimba .. and welcome !! :P:lol:

Yes .. shock leaders are necessary .. for reasons that have already been explained !!

Your "local tackle dealer" gave you the wrong advice .. God knows why !!

If it is your first time out on the beaches I also suggest that you read as much as possible on the subject.

Scan down the previous posts on this forum .. plenty of good advice there !!

Edited by MrWiggly

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Hi Jimba .. and welcome !! :P:lol:

Yes .. shock leaders are necessary .. for reasons that have already been explained !!

Your "local tackle dealer" gave you the wrong advice .. God knows why !!

If it is your first time out on the beaches I also suggest that you read as much as possible on the subject.

Scan down the previous posts on this forum .. plenty of good advice there !!

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely use a shock leader.To be fair to my tackle dealer he didn't actually say I shouldn't use one he just neglected to supply me with one when I asked for a basic starter kit.It was only after some research on the net that I discovered the use of shock leaders.

Anyway at least I'll be safe now.

Can anyone recommend the best casting method for a beginner I've been looking at pendulum and ground casting on you tube

thanks

Stay away from pendulum casting !! You haven't got the experience to deal with it. If you don't kill somebody you will almost certainly blow your reel up !!

Even very experienced beach fishermen sometimes get their casting wrong.

Start with a very simple OFG (Off The Ground) cast until you find your feet. Keep it smooth and simple. Don't try and blast it towards the horizon or thrash it. Keep it nice and slow. It takes a lot of practice to get a cast right. I have been beach fishing and casting for over 30 years .. and I still get it wrong on occasions !!

Try and get some practice in a local park or sports ground. Use a small rubber ball instead of a lead weight .. and no hooks !! Have a good look round before every cast to make sure that nobody is within your firing range. Practice !!!

Good luck !!

Edited by MrWiggly

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Stay away from pendulum casting !! You haven't got the experience to deal with it. If you don't kill somebody you will almost certainly blow your reel up !!

Even very experienced beach fishermen sometimes get their casting wrong.

Start with a very simple OFG (Off The Ground) cast until you find your feet. Keep it smooth and simple. Don't try and blast it towards the horizon or thrash it. Keep it nice and slow. It takes a lot of practice to get a cast right. I have been beach fishing and casting for over 30 years .. and I still get it wrong on occasions !!

Try and get some practice in a local park or sports ground. Use a small rubber ball instead of a lead weight .. and no hooks !! Have a good look round before every cast to make sure that nobody is within your firing range. Practice !!!

Good luck !!

Thanks for the advice I will definitely take it on board.

Just one more thing you might be able to help me with - what knot do I use to tie the shock leader to the main line and at the other end do I tie the leader directly to the rig?

Many thanks

What type of reel are you using?

What breaking strain main line?

There are as you may well find out a number of ways to attach a shock leader, most of us have our own pet way of doing it.

Below is a link for animated knot tying, I use the blood knot because I always use a tapered leader so line thickness is equal and the knot is small and neat giving less for weed to collect on.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing....imatedknots.com

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist