Network setup

Si...

Right here goes.

I`m wanting to set up a multiple router network, however none of the routers are connected to the internet, only one pc is via a cable modem. So basically using the routers as wireless access points.

Is it at all possible to network 2 routers together, then through a pc to connect to the net? As in the picture below?

post-903-1187707132_thumb.jpg

Some details for you:

Cable Modem is connected to eth port 1 (Nvidia LAN controller)

Routers are connected to eth port 2 (Marvell LAN Controller)

PC 1:

A8N-SLi Premium Motherboard with dual LAN ports (Detailed below)

(NVIDIA nForce 4 Built-in Gigabit LAN)

(Marvell 88E81008 PCI Gigabit LAN)

D-Link DSL-G624T ADSL Router (Need Wireless enabled)

Speedtouch 780WL ADSL Router (Need Wireless enabled)

2nd PC:

Standard Mesh PC with single LAN port.

I`d ideally like the 2nd pc to be able to connect to the net through both routers and the 1st PC, and the laptop to connect wirelessly to the router to the net same as the 2nd PC.

I do have one issue, whenever I enable the 2nd eth port (marvell) the 1st port stops responding, ie: if i`m browsing the net, all I get is "Page cannot be displayed".

Step by step instructions would be helpful :D but any help would be appreciated.

What exactly is it you're trying to achieve with this setup?

You've got an internet connection on MainPC that you want to share. Presumably with just modem, mainpc, D-link and laptop you are actually just using the router as a switch. i.e you have nothing plugged in to the D-Link's external port. If you have Main-PC set up to share its internet connection and you give MainPC's IP address to Laptop as default gateway, everything works, yes?

So you then connect the SpeedTouch to the D-Link with ethernet cable between their LAN ethernet ports? And it then stops working?

Ah, hang on, I get you. So you lose internet connectivity immediately you enable the second network card on the PC? How have you configured the IP settings for the two network connections?

The 1st Lan Port (Connected to the cable modem) is assigned by DHCP

The 2nd lan port is manually assigned, however, when I enable ICS on port 1, windows changes the 2nd ports IP to 192.168.0.1 without a gateway, and if its enabled, I lose all connectivity on port 1

Si are the two wireless routers there to provide wireless connectivity between the 2 PC's? If not what is the purpose of them?

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Might be worth going through this, just to check that you have the ICS set up correctly:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...d_02july01.mspx

That should be possible easily enough, I think. If possible with your cable modem, I think I'd want to set both NICs up manually rather than using DHCP. Once that's working, using one of the routers as a switch / wireless access point should not be a problem.

(Edit) - it seems that ICS requires you to enable DHCP on the internal NIC, which will always get 192.168.0.1. Make sure that your cable modem has a different IP address, otherwise you will lose internet connectivity.

Daisy-chaining the routers through their LAN ports only should work. I think you will need to disable DHCP on both of them, because ICS will be running as a DHCP server and handing out IP addresses in that range.

Edited by Steve Walker

Si are the two wireless routers there to provide wireless connectivity between the 2 PC's? If not what is the purpose of them?

The routers are there to provide a wireless signal throughout my whole house. They`re both connected together by a Cat5e cable

Might be worth going through this, just to check that you have the ICS set up correctly:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...d_02july01.mspx

That should be possible easily enough, I think. If possible with your cable modem, I think I'd want to set both NICs up manually rather than using DHCP. Once that's working, using one of the routers as a switch / wireless access point should not be a problem.

(Edit) - it seems that ICS requires you to enable DHCP on the internal NIC, which will always get 192.168.0.1. Make sure that your cable modem has a different IP address, otherwise you will lose internet connectivity.

Daisy-chaining the routers through their LAN ports only should work. I think you will need to disable DHCP on both of them, because ICS will be running as a DHCP server and handing out IP addresses in that range.

OK, erm.....

Right I`ve said sod it and gone without the D-Link router

So now its like the image below

post-903-1187776647_thumb.jpg

Now here's the problems.

PC 1 cannot connect to the router, but can connect to the internet.

PC 2 cannot connect to the router, but can connect to the internet.

Laptop Can connect to the router, but cannot connect to the internet.

The laptop issue is puzzling, because if I enable WPA encryption on the router I cannot connect, even when I manually configure the IP settings to use:

IP Address: 192.168.0.113

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.0.1

But If I turn off the wireless encryption, then it`ll connect. likewise when the laptop is hardwired to the router

wouldn't your life become infinitely simpler if you were to purchase a cable router allowing all your PC's etc to connect directly to the internet ratehr than having to negotiate the minefield that is ICS?

Or as an alternative get hold of any old PC, install 2 network cards and smoothwall, and all your problems will dissappear like magic :D

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

PC 1 cannot connect to the router, but can connect to the internet.

PC 2 cannot connect to the router, but can connect to the internet.

Laptop Can connect to the router, but cannot connect to the internet.

Can you configure the router's IP address to get to the management UI?

It looks as if the device is working correctly as a wired switch on the LAN but is failing to route traffic between the wired and wireless interfaces.