The penny has dropped . . . ?

Sutton Warrior

We are discussing the merits of cameras ... and not involving ourselves in "point scoring".

This photo forum is not the place for petty squabbles.

Thank you ...

Wiggly. :rolleyes:

[admin note: and just to make sure no one gets upset with Mr. Wiggly, all edits were done by me. I completely agree that personal attacks and similar have no place on the forum at all and especially no place on this specialty forum that has many viewers and some posters who don't know you lot except from what the read here.

Newt]

The Older I get .. The better I was.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are discussing the merits of cameras ... and not involving ourselves in "point scoring".

This photo forum is not the place for petty squabbles.

Thank you ...

Wiggly. :rolleyes:

OK Mr Wiggly, I accept that.

Back to my original point, re pose the question; my Canon A640 only has 180ppi despite its 10m pixels. However it serves me well, as a light weight grab and go picture taking medium.

The other point was that my DSLR has 300ppi despite only being 6m pixels, are we being duped by the advertisers, as the 10m pixels offers no advantage, in fact suffers at the editing stage when zoom and crop are required?

Any one ever actualy considerd this, do they own compacts or bridge cameras with the 180ppi sensor or is the Canon unique?

SW

It is, unfortunately, a fact of modern life that the average person is led to believe that "bigger is better". And advertisers of products extoll the "bigger is better" factor.

One of the best digital cameras I own is a little Fuji finepix which rates at only 3MP. Can't recall the exact PPI on this little unit, but it produces cracking pics !! As an "in pocket" camera it takes some beating.

At the other end of the scale I have Canon "professional" cameras, and the capabilities of these units are only limited by the skill of the operator. The price of having this level of excellence is weight, encumberence and cost !!

So "bigger is better" is not necessarily the way to go.

I reply to the original query. The manufacturers/advertisers would probably throw up their hands in horror at the suggestion that they are trying to "con" the buying public, and point out that full specs for the units are avaliable in brochures or on web sites. Knowing full well that the average "Joe Public" is not going to access the information.

I suppose it all boils down to the old maxim .. "Let the buyer beware!!" :angry::blink:

Back to the topic.....so what/who decides the dpi? My Nikon (non dslr) but all bells and whistles, offers me a range of pixel options from 8mpx RAW down to 3mpx Basic. when tested (for this topic) all come out at 300dpi.

There are other options right down to 1mpx basic, but I haven't tested them as they are not relevent to the topic.

As for the dslr v "compact" all depends on the lens surely? Is there something you can do with a DSLR that I can't do with my 8800 and converter lens? And I won't get a dust problem :)

I am very wary of commenting on anyones camera nowadays, I have seen some compacts (on the bank) that seem to have all the options.................

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

"I have seen some compacts (on the bank) that seem to have all the options................."

I totally agree Den ..

Some of the compacts that are produced today are at least the equal of, if not better than, some of the top-end SLRs !!

The one possible area that top SLRs may have the edge is the capability to set up "personal" settings and options that are not (yet) avaliable in the compacts.

At the end of the day, as already stated, it's the guy behind the camera that produces the "Art" . I have seen very "early" B&W pics that were taken with nothing more than a "Pinhole" camera and glass plate recording medium ... and I would certainly say that some of them are "Art" !!

Even setting up personal options is available on some compacts (mine for example :) ) I have two user settings, and I do use them :)

I was also going to throw a further option into the pot.....HD video cameras which also take stills :) :) I may stop using my Nikon soon, my new Sony AVCHD takes a superb still picture....got a Carl Zeiss lens you see...........

DSC00074.jpg

Simple, point the camera..get in close..press shutter :)

I can't check the dpi of the original, but when copied to another folder it shows a dpi of 72 dpi..................

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

Even setting up personal options is available on some compacts (mine for example :) ) I have two user settings, and I do use them :)

I was also going to throw a further option into the pot.....HD video cameras which also take stills :) :) I may stop using my Nikon soon, my new Sony AVCHD takes a superb still picture....got a Carl Zeiss lens you see...........

DSC00074.jpg

Simple, point the camera..get in close..press shutter :)

I can't check the dpi of the original, but when copied to another folder it shows a dpi of 72 dpi..................

Den

Just shows how technology has closed the gap for Mr Average, our 'one size fits all' sosciety can offer advantages?

Phew, just looked at the price, '800 and something squid', discounted from over a grand . . . . . . :unsure: . . . at the curent rate of development, in a couple of years they will be giving them away with cornflakes, lol

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

No way did I pay that SW... £499 "buy now" from Ebay...INCLUDING...

a spare £100 quids worth of battery..........still a lot of money though..............

blame my wife and kids....booking me a trip to fish with Newt and sightseeing with Jan :) :)

Den

No way did I pay that SW... £499 "buy now" from Ebay...INCLUDING...

a spare £100 quids worth of battery..........still a lot of money though..............

blame my wife and kids....booking me a trip to fish with Newt and sightseeing with Jan :) :)

Den

£500 . . . better, mmm Great pic quality though, as you say, good glass, and the technology is roaring on in leaps and bound.

SW

Though I agree that compacts are getting better I dont agree they are on equal terms with a dslr yet.

If you compare a picture at full size of a 6mp compact and a 6mp dslr you will see the difference in quality for sure. Its only really when you squash them down when you find it hard to spot difference.

If anyone disagrees please take a 100% crop using there compact. I will then do the same using my dslr.

Joel

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg