Fishing boots

Guest tigger

Guest tigger

I'm in the process of looking to buy a new pair of boots for mooching about the river etc. I know there are many different makes available which makes it quite difficult to decide on the ones to go for . I've been looking at the the Pimal boots and the Pro logic boots(featherlight) has anyone got these boots and are they any good? I don't want to spend money on a pair of boots if they let water in, are uncomfortable or fall to bits in a short spell. Any advice will be gratfully received. :thumbs:

:unsure: If I was in your boots I would be looking at boots and waders.

I'm looking through a catalogue from tightlines.co.uk. The ones I have are Scierra stocking foot waders and Aquatex Boots. Great waders, nice and light, breathable and comfortable. The boots are crap though. They are splitting along the seams and the lacers are always breaking.

For what you want, I would buy the Scierra Stocking foot trousers and the Dyna-Trak Boots all on page 63. You are far better with boots with a felt sole and studs. They grip better when walking on gravel and stones.

All options are coverd, good grip with 100% water proof.

Regards

Get some sandals.

As far as I know, they're not made by any tackle manufacturers yet so there's no tackle tart kudos to be has from getting the right brand so as long as they have an ankle strap and are cheap enough, go for it.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest Rabbit

Daps in the summer, Rigger Boots in the winter :thumbs:

Get some sandals.

As far as I know, they're not made by any tackle manufacturers yet so there's no tackle tart kudos to be has from getting the right brand so as long as they have an ankle strap and are cheap enough, go for it.

Sand Eels? Thats just being silly :rolleyes:

Tell me Ken can you wear socks with sandals? if so what colour :unsure:

Edited by Rabbit

I wear white socks of course, but I make sure I roll up my corduroys before I paddle in the river..... :P

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest tigger

I don't want wading boots I'm looking for a pair of waterproof boots suitable for walking to pegs on the river ( not usually more than a mile or so) and also to keep my feet warm in winter.

I can thoroughly recommend the Muck Boots range of neoprene footwear, that Newt originally suggested. After a lot of research I bought the Esk style as they have a mesh liner to wick moisture away (especially useful in Summer), and are heavy duty enough for fishing.

I find them exceptionally comfortable to wear, especially as the neoprene lightly grips the calf. This also prevents mozzies getting in! They're also more rugged than wellies and so should last much longer. They're almost as warm in winter as Moon Boots, but very much more comfortable to walk in.

I spoke to several stockists, and although not quite the cheapest, Oakbury Welsh Cobs were the most helpful and so I ordered from them. Their web site is at http://www.oakburywelshcobs.co.uk/muckboots.htm

This is how they describe the Esk

"A state-of-the-art working boot, the Esk has a high rubber covering on the leg and a superb sole tread.

Other features include: a highly reinforced toe cap and instep; a removable 'Nitrocel' footbed for additional insulation and cushioning; an anti-shock heel made from MuckBoot's own 'Absorb' open cell polymer; a kick-rim to allow boots to be kicked off without damage; and a rubber Achilles protector to shield the wearer from blows to the back of the ankle. The Esk also has MuckBoots' own 'air-mesh' technology. Thousands of tiny vertical fibres allow air to circulate throughout the internal lining of the boot. When combined with the CR-Foam bootie, it provides an unmatched comfort range of +85oF to -85oF."

The price is £59.99 + postage. Granted, that's not cheap, but spread that over say 10 years and that works out at about 50 pence a month.

Finally, do bear in mind that you need to buy at least 1 size bigger than your shoe size. I take an 8½ shoe and found that I needed a size 10 Muck boot.

Edit note: Elton, please remind me to send you a review in due course.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Guest tigger

Thank's for the link Steve and those boots look great but it's more of a lace up boot I'm looking for as I say I've been looking at the Primal and the Pro logic boots. Not yet seen them in the flesh but they look ok in the picc's. The Map boots look ok as well. Has anyone got any of these and are they any good?

Edited by tigger

Guest tigger

Daps in the summer, Rigger Boots in the winter :thumbs:

quote]

They need to be waterproof Neil, I know rigger boots are pretty hard wearing but if it's raining for a long period they'll leak water. I normally just wear wellies but I'm sick of my feet sweating during the walk to a distant peg and then my feet getting cold during the night that's why I want breathable.

Edited by tigger

Tigger - search basspro.com and cabelas.com for 'snake boots'. Near knee high, lace up, waterproof, available insulated & breathable, designed for walking.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President