Both DVD Drives misbehaving

Lid

I am trying to help out a fried with a PC that is misbehaving. It has two DVD drives, one is a Sony DVD-ROM drive and the other is a LG 'Super multi' DVD RW (it displays as a DVD RAM drive in explorer).

The DVD-ROM won't read anything, despite device manager claiming all is well. The other drive often, but not always, causes the PC to reboot when you put any disc into it. Again all is well in device manager. I have deleted them both from device manager, but when they reinstall under XP-Home, they behave in exactly the same way.

What should I do to determine and solve these problems please?

Thanks.

I've upgraded the firmware on both drives. I'm not sure where to get drivers from though. I'll have a search. It all worked fine till recently. I think the DVD ROM drive is simply broken and doesn't read discs anymore. However the RW drive nearly always causes the PC to reboot if you try to access a CD or DVD. Sometimes it will play, but mst of the time, there's a click and the PC restarts! Any ideas?

The hard drive is also very noisey, another relatively recent change!

Is NERO installed?? Is the RECORD cd's on this drive checked in properties?? For either of the drives?? HOW many writing programmes are on pc? Has he installed ANY new software on PC?? (If NERO rolling back will NOT do a thing!!)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Thanks for the reply. Nero is installed, but I'm not sure where to look for the record CDs option.

The problems seem to coincide with installing his daughter's SIMS games. However Windows Update won't connect either and I can't get any info on the error it returns (0x80070715). This is turning into a bit of a nightmare now.

My problem in the past LID has been NERO!! It takes complete control of the drives and if anything else tries to use them it will not let it!! Try looking at the NERO site to uninstall it IF he has the original discs?

Checking the recording is:

Open My Computer. Right click on drive x, choose properties, Choose Recording, On there is a check box to allow recorder to record cd's. I had ruddy NIGHTMARES myself for ages!! Asked questions ALL over and eventually removed NERO after SEVERAL false starts!! And never looked back!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

It all worked fine till recently. I think the DVD ROM drive is simply broken and doesn't read discs anymore. However the RW drive nearly always causes the PC to reboot if you try to access a CD or DVD. Sometimes it will play, but mst of the time, there's a click and the PC restarts! Any ideas?

Could it be a problem with the power supply unit?

If poorly, the extra demand needed to spin up the disc could at times be exceeding the power of the capacitors to deliver, and the system crashes and reboots.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Thanks for the replies. I'm only here for another day now, so my friend is going to get the original supplier to look at it.

Thanks for the replies. I'm only here for another day now, so my friend is going to get the original supplier to look at it.

I had the problem of the system not recognizing my DVD drives after uninstalling Nero, they showed up in devices but with the yellow exclamation mark! And explorer couldn't see them at all. I tried rolling back the drivers, disabling, uninstalling all to no avail and then found this little prog, that put all to rights again....

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip

"Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

This utility is only intended for Windows XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes."

if that doesn't work a bit more digging found this:

"Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.

Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.

Close regedit and restart the computer."

I didn't need to try it but if in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

The top level also leads to some other interesting stuff, including Windows Media tweaks...

Len

I had the problem of the system not recognizing my DVD drives after uninstalling Nero, they showed up in devices but with the yellow exclamation mark! And explorer couldn't see them at all. I tried rolling back the drivers, disabling, uninstalling all to no avail and then found this little prog, that put all to rights again....

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip

"Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

This utility is only intended for Windows XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes."

if that doesn't work a bit more digging found this:

"Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.

Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.

Close regedit and restart the computer."

I didn't need to try it but if in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

The top level also leads to some other interesting stuff, including Windows Media tweaks...

Len

Len you're a live saver. i've been having trouble with my CD drive and was going to post a thread asking for help when i spotted the above answer. i downloaded the link and my problem is now fixed. Thanks mate

well it did work but now not working again. :wallbash:

Edited by Clifftop

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/