ullapool

Happy Dude

anyone here old enough to remember the fishing at ullapool in it's 1960's skate fishing heyday.

ie, exactly where they fished and how deep etc.

is there any decent slipways in the area?

thanks

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Hi Less

fished a few miles up the road at kinlochbervie before....

Loads of haddies, cod, whiting on the charter we where on, This was about 120 foot deep skipper told us he had a skate off a similar area tho not sure if that was a fluke or what, We where a good steam off shore perhaps the inshore lochs around that area might be deeper/beter skate ground tho i havnt a clue,

Would make for a great we exploration trip...

Tight Lines

Shaun

its no biggie boys, i was looking at the chart of the area around the summer isles and just wondered what area and depth they fished,

back then they may only have fished in the shallower areas for the skate eg 100-200 feet or less, there is a couple of 400 feet plus bits,

back then they wouldn't have considered fishing those depths, maybe the skate are still there in those deep marks....who knows unless someone trys it

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Hiya Les,

Yup you are right in your thoughts, they did fish the shallower areas back then. I can be more precise with the areas if you need.

Sadly this area was fished out by ANGLERS in the past and is slowly starting to recover. The deep holes you talk about used to be heavily long lined in the past as it was an area that also produced big Halibut, wild ones at that ... not fish farm escapees :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The last time I fished up there a 14 stone one was taken from this area

[ 08. November 2004, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

hi davy

i take it the 14 stone halibut wasn't taken this century, or in the 90's

shaun,

i fished at kinlochbervie about 10 years ago and had one of the best catches of my life on a wreck, i also caught the then local ling record with a fish of 25lb 12oz, i wonder if this is still standing?

WalkingPinhead.gif

HI Les,

Hmm not sure if that ling wouldhave been beaten, But i have a feeling it may have been the same wreck we fished, Me personally i couldnt get through the colies on jumbo hokkies, and 1lb of lead, There was just 2 many, 3 every time without fail, And not 1 was under 1lb most averaging 2 lb going up to 3... Same with everyone on that day realy, Tho the skipper told us it was a good wreck for ling and if you cn get through the collies there is a good chance of a double figure ling... Most of our day was realy spent drifing the haddy banks, And ive never seen so many in my life, They were really daft, quite good haddock also, QUite interesting that they wer all stuffed to the max with brittle stars...

Tight Lines

Shaun

hi shaun

the wreck we were on was about 1-1.5 hours sail north of port and about 6 miles out, i also had a 8 1/2lb coalfish, pollack to 9lb+ 2 tusk to 8 1/2lb, double figure spurs and another 3 double figure ling, it was one of the best days out i have had, funny i've never been back since :confused:

i would love to get up there in my wee boat

davy, do do know much about the waters off mallaig, ie, the sound of sleat??

it looks similar on the chart to the firth of lorne

do you think its heavily trawled by scallop boats etc

les

WalkingPinhead.gif

Hiya,

The 'Butt I seen was back in 81, we had went on a trip out of Ullapool, catching Haddock to over 5lb on baited feathers :)

Re the Sound of Sleat, yup it is very much like the Firth and as in the Firth holds a reasonable population of Commons. There are also a few reports of Halibut and Porbeagles off the South of Sky. The key to catching is finding an area that ain't being trawled, I did have some coords for a mark that was producing a lot of medium sized Commons but I cant remember where I've put it

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"