winter casting and report for today :D

basshead07

Hi all,

i went fishing today off the peir at southsea and straight away had 5 pout and 1 goby i got a little bit bored so decided to go down to the shore for some mackeral and whilst there i kept seeing fish jumping out and sprats flying everywhere i soon come to the conclusion that bass were the culprate soo i had one more caast wit my feathers (immatation shrimps in my case) and as i casted lots of sprats jumped about 2 meters away i reeled in and my rod slammed over it resulted in 2 bass about 1 lb each after that i ,and i know its a bit dangerous, walked out to chest deep in the sea and the bass where splashing about 3 meters in front off me soo i decided to put a little immatation white bait on about half a gram in whieght i casted out as far as i could in this case it was about 6 meters tops and had six more bass all off which were no bigger than 2 lb soo all in all i had 8 bass :thumbs: p.s if anyone is wondering they all went back to fight another day :thumbs: right now to my question as i went fishing at southsea peir i discovered that you dont need to cast far to get a few fish and im not forgetting im in summer would that apply in winter? maybe one or two bass in quite close or the odd cod or whiting and iff soo what bait i heard limpets are good in winter for bass? all help appriciated

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

Hi all,

i went fishing today off the peir at southsea and straight away had 5 pout and 1 goby i got a little bit bored so decided to go down to the shore for some mackeral and whilst there i kept seeing fish jumping out and sprats flying everywhere i soon come to the conclusion that bass were the culprate soo i had one more caast wit my feathers (immatation shrimps in my case) and as i casted lots of sprats jumped about 2 meters away i reeled in and my rod slammed over it resulted in 2 bass about 1 lb each after that i ,and i know its a bit dangerous, walked out to chest deep in the sea and the bass where splashing about 3 meters in front off me soo i decided to put a little immatation white bait on about half a gram in whieght i casted out as far as i could in this case it was about 6 meters tops and had six more bass all off which were no bigger than 2 lb soo all in all i had 8 bass :thumbs: p.s if anyone is wondering they all went back to fight another day :thumbs: right now to my question as i went fishing at southsea peir i discovered that you dont need to cast far to get a few fish and im not forgetting im in summer would that apply in winter? maybe one or two bass in quite close or the odd cod or whiting and iff soo what bait i heard limpets are good in winter for bass? all help appriciated

:clap2: Float fished whitebait, sandeel or mackeral sliver are a super bait from the pier. You'll get gars, mackeral, scad and even a chance of a bass, great fishing on light tackle. A head and guts of mackeral or a live or dead pout fished straight down gives a good chance of a lunker bass or conger, especially after dark. I actually stabbed a turbot with my knife under the pier many years ago when I used to collect hermit crabs for bait under there. I've seen big bass and mullet under there, as well as plaice, conger, wrasse, scad, pollock and of course, pout. :clap2:

A very under-rated mark as you might gather from my SPP article in 'Total' this month.

Who'd believe this on the float with 2 size 6 carp hooks baited with mackerel slivers 'a la Norm'.

sppmay1pollbass.jpg

The reason so many predators are here through the summer is the cover provided for the millions of tiny sprats ... scad, gars, mackerel, bass, pollack become pre-occupied with them (which is why tiny hokkais can be so effective while large 'mackerel feathers' are untouched).

In winter the clouds of whitebait (sprats mainly) are not present, so you are wasting your time!

Sprat shoals continue however in the Eastern Solent and the boats often have a 'bass spree' in settled conditions when bird activity is a dead giveaway.

This winter should see a number of codling landed from the lower deck together with good whiting; but you'll need lug and squid baits.

Ada

Sorry that it's in another thread about 'Shads', but here's the result from South Parade Pier today..

(between the three of us) about 20 mackies on the float + pollack, bream and Allis!!

sppallis.jpg

:icecream::icecream::icecream: