Tired of holding my pole!

MatNewman

I am tired of holding my pole! (No jokes please :headhurt: )

I have a seat box with square legs. I was thinking of a pole arm or an over and under pole support.

What is the best and where will I find one reasonably cheap?

Is there any other good methods of freeing up my hands?

Any advice much apreciated!

Matt,

I am in the same boat as you. I've been using a pole for two seasons, but it was given to me and I am not really geared up for it accessory-wise. My catch rate has increased considerably, and the pole is unbeatable in certain situations, especially in weedy slow running rivers, where you can put your bait exactly where you want it, and hold it more or less still.

Like you, I have been holding my pole with no pole rests on an ordinary chair (not a seatbox) and I find my let arm (I am left handed) and shoulder kill me after a session. My pole is not a particularly light one, either. Standard rod rests are no good as the pole is basically too big and heavy for them, and has sploshed unceramoniously into the river on a couple of occasions.

I have seen the under and over pole rests and I reckon the advantage of these is you can keep both hands free for feeding etc. However, the pole bar attachments means you can still hold the pole without bearing the weight. The advantage of this is you will probably hit more bites. I have seen more top matchmen using the bars rather than the rests. Bob Nudd doesn't use either and holds his pole, and actually continues feeding at the same time as playing large carp - a nice trick if you can do it!

Your specific seat box manufacturer may supply these accessories for your box. Preston and Octoplus also supply these. I really must invest in a seatbox myself.

I am tired of holding my pole! (No jokes please :headhurt: )

I have a seat box with square legs. I was thinking of a pole arm or an over and under pole support.

What is the best and where will I find one reasonably cheap?

Is there any other good methods of freeing up my hands?

Any advice much apreciated!

Buy a rod and reel! :o;)

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

why not just rest it on a rod rest set further away

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Mat

Seeing as you have square legs on your box, then i'd go for the preston on box pole support. I've got one of these and it's very good for about £25 of your hard earned money. It's a strong, highly adjustable unit that incorporates a ridged roller. I've got a brilo box and had no problems whatsoever setting it up. You can even attach other preston accessories such as keepnet arms to it. See below...

Preston Roller

I had a look at one made by Fox, and thought it was good, but more expensive and the bar is a non roller version, but you pays your money you takes your choice!

Regards

James P

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

The only type of pole support to use are the "spray bar type" these types of rest allow you to hold the pole as normal but for some of the weight to be taken for you, if you have a seat that allows you to sit on the pole but then this can allow more of the weight too be taken by the rest.. The hook type supports are fine to hold the pole when balling in but I would never put a pole in one whilst actualy fishing.

I would however say that the most important aspect of avoiding aches and pains in pole fishing is gettiing a level position and the box at the right hight. I have never found the need to use a pole support of any type except when balling in as over the years I have learned the right angles to allow me to comfortably support the pole between my forearm and thigh. When i need to use a catapult or feed or even tie a new hook length I can still do so without putting the pole down. I want my thigh to have a very slight incline up to my knee. thats my way but you would need to experiment to find the exact positions for yo. To achieve this you need not just adjustable legs but also a foot plate (unless on a totaly flat platform or towpath) this to me is a much more important piece of kit than any pole rest.

Pay somebody to hold it for you. Also saves the embarrassment of being seen with one in the first place.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Mat

Seeing as you have square legs on your box, then i'd go for the preston on box pole support. I've got one of these and it's very good for about £25 of your hard earned money. It's a strong, highly adjustable unit that incorporates a ridged roller. I've got a brilo box and had no problems whatsoever setting it up. You can even attach other preston accessories such as keepnet arms to it. See below...

Preston Roller

I had a look at one made by Fox, and thought it was good, but more expensive and the bar is a non roller version, but you pays your money you takes your choice!

Regards

James P

Thanks very much - Going to have a look at the over and under holders aswell