New to Kayak fishing

cannonfodder

hello all. i have purchased myself a new kayak an islander, strike http://www.islandersitontops.com/strike.htm and have started to fish from it looking for friendly community to share stories and tips with.

i live in Ilfracombe, north devon, uk and have many suitable launch points within 10 miles of my location with a wide range of fish to target. i have fished from the shore for over 20 years and have only now plucked up the courage to take to see!

Hello Cannonfodder, welcome to AnglersNet.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Hi Cannonfodder,

Welcome to the madhouse, first of all may I say that you are in the right place to have all your questions answered.

I myself am a ex Ilfracombe lad and know the shores well over there so please be very aware about the tides and currents on the North Coast even though it is very tempting to launch from the harbour and fish around Hillsbourgh and Capstone on a fine day they are alot of hidden dangers around there.

If you are ever around the Torbay area it is always worth dropping a message on here as you will no doubt be joined by a couple of the local guys who will all be willing to have you tag along.

ChrisW

Hi Cannonfodder

Have you been out fishing yet and how did you get on ? I am from Ilfracombe too and picked up a Malibu Two XL so can use with the family but also intend fishing from, eg Launch from Hele, Combe Martin and Woolacombe

Hi Cannonfodder,

Welcome to the madhouse, first of all may I say that you are in the right place to have all your questions answered.

I myself am a ex Ilfracombe lad and know the shores well over there so please be very aware about the tides and currents on the North Coast even though it is very tempting to launch from the harbour and fish around Hillsbourgh and Capstone on a fine day they are alot of hidden dangers around there.

If you are ever around the Torbay area it is always worth dropping a message on here as you will no doubt be joined by a couple of the local guys who will all be willing to have you tag along.

ChrisW

thank you for your concerns, but i am well aware of the tidal conditions and fast currents in this area, i used to crew for dave clements a long time ago on the silver fox and have a skippers licence myself, i'm just new to fishing from a kayak.

the tides are great around here for this sport as a 5knot current takes you a good distance.

Hi Cannonfodder

Have you been out fishing yet and how did you get on ? I am from Ilfracombe too and picked up a Malibu Two XL so can use with the family but also intend fishing from, eg Launch from Hele, Combe Martin and Woolacombe

i launched from larkstone beach yesterday 1 hour before bottom so i'd get a little of the outgoing tide and experience paddling against the current seems the tides are running fairly fast atm because of building springs.

i managed to get to bull point light house in a little over 1 1/2 hours taking it easy exploring all the bays. i caught a bass going past the tunnels over the vast amount of gully's there but only the one fist so far. i will go out from shell beach soon and jig over the pinicales just off mort point but not toooooo close to the races.

i paddled out about 1000 yards and caught the current back to ilfracombe and got back in under an hour, they i went around hillsbourougher exploring the fishing potential there and landed on hele before going back to larkstone. this fishing potential is awsome in this area especially spinning/plugging/trolling for bass and jigging for pollock ect. personally i wouldn't like to try targeting the ells, rays or tope as i dont fancy being dragged out to lundy!

picture overlooking larkstone beach with the pier in the distance, you cant really see the beach but its a good spot to launch with all day parking for £2.80 right from where the pic is taken. and ramps down to the beach:

17888.jpg

btw did you know we have leading lights in ilfracombe now?

ty CF for the reply sounds excellent, we launched off Hele tonight it was so flat and no wind :) lifejackets didnt arrive today so was only paddling around hele area didnt want to go out without jackets so was more practicing getting on and let kids jump off and practice climbing in etc close to shore edge but cant wait to take a rod out I bet along under coast guards is a great spot

ty CF for the reply sounds excellent, we launched off Hele tonight it was so flat and no wind :) lifejackets didnt arrive today so was only paddling around hele area didnt want to go out without jackets so was more practicing getting on and let kids jump off and practice climbing in etc close to shore edge but cant wait to take a rod out I bet along under coast guards is a great spot

if you need kit quick, there are kayak shop's in bideford and in woolacombe.

http://www.atlanticwatersportsuk.com/

http://www.northdevonkayakcentre.co.uk/1.html

went out from barricane today, dam that beach is tough to get your boat up from!

caught a few small mackerel, there were many shoals still bubbling up in the surface but no bass in sight. the good weather is looking to stay for a few days with a bit of luck i can get out saturday.