Moribund Carp In The Thames

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

A few weeks/months after the winter floods in Kent several years ago, there were reports of dead and dying carp in the Medway.

The theory was these were lake carp which had found themselves in the river, an environment they were not well-equipped to survive in.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I haven't seen any ill or distressed carp in the Thames up here (yet, anyway) but at the weekend I saw two lots of 'serious' carpers fishing different stretches of the Thames, a mate caught a pretty ghostie that would have looked more at home in a garden pond, and I lost another smallish carp in weed. (We weren't fishing for them particularly, just bread mash and flake for anything.)

There are plenty around at the moment - many more than there were a couple of months back, I'm sure...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks for putting that story up.

Firstly, the carp in the picture looks very sad. Secondly, I don't know where 'Romney' is on the Thames??

No sightings of upset carp on the Thames in Oxfordshire, although I fear a large number of carp have found their way into the Thames via the Windrush from the numerous pits in the area.

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

We don't seem to have any moribund carp in my area or even sad ones, but the EA have been called out to attend to some tench that were rumoured to be feeling a bit disappointed. I have come across the occasional shoal of perplexed gudgeon and even a dace that was feeling quite depressed, but so far at least, the carp appear to be in good spirits. It could be that they are just putting on a brave face - stiff upper lip and all that.

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I can see a gap in the market here and I am most certain that a branch of Piscatorial Psychotherapists will be opening next to the Thames soon.....

Why, are theren't already such services for the most distressed of animals, The Poodle?

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

goosequill

>although I fear a large number of carp have found their way into the Thames via the Windrush from the numerous pits in the area. <<

hmmmm interesting.....i'm an associate member of rdaa and regularly fish sonning eye (just downstream of reading) .

since the flood we've been catching lots of small "pasties" in this enormous (300+ acre pit) which we weren't catching before...some have significant mouth damage as if they're from a commercial somewhere....almost certainly flushed in to sonning after the thames broke it's banks....

what we're not sure of, of course, is what might have got flushed out!!!!

tight lines all.....

<')Andy<

It is interesting!

The glut of pits that line the River Windrush were in a total mess when we had the flooding here. In fact, everywhere was - I could go on and on about the weekend of the 23rd and 24th July as the sights I saw were far worse than a winter flood - it was staggering.

Now, since those floods, I have already accidentally caught three carp from the Thames - all small fish upto 8lbs which looked very much to me like they had escaped from somewhere else.

After hearing reports of Chub swimming up the flooded A40 and another women feeding Chub with bread in her back garden I would not be surprised if some residents of lakes have found new homes.

Finally, one popular complex of Pits has tried to re-inforce that they didn't lose any fish. Well, they could NOT have stopped any fish getting free and I'm curious why they have invested a considerable sum of self-insurance funds to restock.....

Visit My Galleries