Which fishfinrder

Turbo

Providing there are no air bubbles in your adhesive of choice (sikaflex, silicone sealant, epoxy resin), you can attach a fishfinders transducer ('sensor') to the inside of the hull and shoot through it - the advantage is that no drag is created (even a small object submerged outside a kayak can create noticeable drag). Reported disadvantages are a possible degradation in signal quality - my in hull transducer worked flawlessy (was able to zoom in and see my bait on the screen and also see my lead on its way down when they were in the fishfinders view.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are all the fishfinders mentioned waterproof

My Garmin el-cheapo model has been in the water when I capsized but it still worked, the only thing I have found is the plug in connection can/will corroded due to the salt water and 12 volts of the battery to stop this put plenty of silicon grease on and all will be well, if you want to go one better cover the joint with a finger off a rubber glove

Edited by YakDiver

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Gilbo how do you find the Cuda ? Are they fairly accurate ? No problems with them getting wet/damp ? Easy to install ? Sorry for all the questions but this is new to me ! Cheers Martin.

They seem as accurate as all the other cheap models. Easily installed and have had no water / condensation in the unit at all.

Tidy little unit really and good value. If I was to buy anything else I would go for a hummingbird. Heard lots of reports that the garmins are not as robust as others.

But thats my preference.

:thumbs:

Providing there are no air bubbles in your adhesive of choice (sikaflex, silicone sealant, epoxy resin), you can attach a fishfinders transducer ('sensor') to the inside of the hull and shoot through it - the advantage is that no drag is created (even a small object submerged outside a kayak can create noticeable drag). Reported disadvantages are a possible degradation in signal quality - my in hull transducer worked flawlessy (was able to zoom in and see my bait on the screen and also see my lead on its way down when they were in the fishfinders view.

can i glue one inside a polyethylene plastic hull or does it have to be a fibre glass hull?

Inside a plastic hull it should be fine the plastic should be smooth there - recommend cleaning the area first before applying the adhesive - I use white spirit. Also put a heavy weight on top of the transducer whilst its drying.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

They seem as accurate as all the other cheap models. Easily installed and have had no water / condensation in the unit at all.

Tidy little unit really and good value. If I was to buy anything else I would go for a hummingbird. Heard lots of reports that the garmins are not as robust as others.

But thats my preference.

:thumbs:

Thanks for that , its an eagle cuda for me , Martin.

Inside a plastic hull it should be fine the plastic should be smooth there - recommend cleaning the area first before applying the adhesive - I use white spirit. Also put a heavy weight on top of the transducer whilst its drying.

thank you, now to pick up either the,

HUMMINBIRD PIRANHAMAX 215 or the EAGLE CUDA 168 from ebay. i think the hummingbird as it has a Dual Beam transducer as i will probably be fishing in only 15 to 30 foot of water targeting bass!

Try this company for prices, Zzippy and I have had fishfinders from them before:

http://www.mesltd.co.uk/

If you do buy contact them first to make sure the items are in stock and to check delivery times.

Almost spat out my Cheerios this morning after seeing how much I can get previous fishfinder for now - £200

http://www.mesltd.co.uk/product_info.php?p...2e270523d10d379

May rebuy it for the Dorado although still not sure if & how I'll fit one.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow