The Mull Of Galloway "this is the life"

Bigk

Hi Everyone on the forum i'm new to the site and would like to share my love for fishing with anyone who is a novice or a Rex Hunt.I'd be very interested in anyone who could give me some fresh marks to fish in and around the Mull of Galloway SW Scotland area.I've fished the more common areas alot ie Port Logan, Port Gill,The lighthouse point,flat rock,Terally point/Bay Maryport Beach,Ardwell Bay etc.I'd love any tips on fishing for bass in Luce Bay i.e Sandhead to Maryport i have had fish to 3lb and i've seen bigger fish.I know that folk don't like to give too much away but!! i have proved others wrong on the odd occasions(havn't we all)so i may be able to swap a few tips myself especially on pollack fishing.So if anyone has any topics or sound advice please feel free to answer the cry for help.

I'm from the Toon Newcastle and frequently visit the area in question mainly because our coast line isn't a patch on the Mull.Thanks to all who reply.

Cheers Bigk :D

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi shaun welcome. eh re the bass no wont to give too much away (huh) well were getting them between maryport to ardwell at the moment mostly on spinners there not iterested in lures for now , mostly low tide up for an hour or so seems best, but will get better as the year goes on then its big tides for the plugs same area will pm some spots to try

The first time i fished in front of the caravan site at Maryport making my way towards the point.I'd spoken to two anglers last year about August time! and they recommended using plugs, which the guy in the shop at Ardwell guaranteed me fish? if you use that one and this one!!! ££££ Me pal fell into the trap but i went with the tried and tested method of spinning with sandeels and red gills,a running ledger- two foot trace with a 2oz lead.I had three fish the best going about 2.5lb,we had 5 fish in about 200 casts.The two guys who advised me to use plugs had started at the point coming towards us they stuck to plugging and the two of them had Blankety blank cheque book and pens!...But one thing that did spoil the fishing was that weed ,it's like long lengths of spaghetti.I could see a popping plug would come in useful when that weed is in big style.I noticed "snatchers sandeel lures" hanging up in the ship at Drummore they seem to be well sung on this forum,but alas i couldn't toss a fly to save me street cred..

I have just been back 1st June to fish the same area from Terally down to Maryport and i tried the usual methods spinning into dusk /darkness then fishing on the bottom with lug and fresh crab.Doggies don't we just love them,but if you caught fish all the time it would be called "catching" wouldn't it..I thought the pollack fishing was better back in March-April Easter weekend the fish went to 7lb and we had plenty in the 4-5lb size the brightness may have took them to ground but we did have a few going to about 5lb the other week.

Cheers for the Welcome Norrie and Ourwullie.How do you go about posting catch pics up a bit advice would help here...

Hi Ian,

You probably don't remember me (being a popular guy) but i've been out with you and Mally a few times i was booked up with a few lads from Newcastle i was the lad with the "Malindi" baseball cap,you get that many out with you i'm surprised you haven't went back,it beets catching Pollack and Tope?..Cheers for the tip but i think Snatchers week will have to be missed but i hope the lads & lasses have a ball and catch plenty.That was a canny Tope 70lb, the conditions looked a bit wild..judging by the pic..

Bigk:

Hi Ian,

You probably don't remember me (being a popular guy) but i've been out with you and Mally a few times i was booked up with a few lads from Newcastle i was the lad with the "Malindi" baseball cap,you get that many out with you i'm surprised you haven't went back,it beets catching Pollack and Tope?..Cheers for the tip but i think Snatchers week will have to be missed but i hope the lads & lasses have a ball and catch plenty.That was a canny Tope 70lb, the conditions looked a bit wild..judging by the pic..

The conditions were bloody awful. 10 ft rolling swell, torrential rain etc. The conditions were brilliant next day amd we struggled to find Tope. Its a funny old game.

Bring an OS map with you next time you are up and i will pinpoint some marks

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

welcome to the mad house BigK

give us a shout when your heading this way as a local looking to learn and share

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

NICKYR Alreet,

Have you got any plans for having a run over????? If you have let me know,i'll probably not be free until the next back Holiday ? August...Have you been getting out thats fish not fun in the house of love....!!!!!