poachers?

dapper64

Hi Darren,

I've just reread my post and realised I should have said Castley, (don't know where I got Castleton from :unsure: ).

I haven't had barbel any higher upstream than Collingham, though I have heard of them being caught as high up as Pool.

Below Linton bridge to down past the church there are several barbel swims that have produced for me. Same at Wetherby, upstream of the foot bridge. The real barbel water is below the weir, but that is members only (Wetherby & District AC), and I'm not a member.

Boston Spa, the stretch below the road bridge as always produced, I don't know if you still get your tickets from the 'Spa Cafe', not been there for some time. The water below the 'gas works' has plenty of barbel, but you have a fair walk to reach the best swims.

Easdyke, has probably produced most barbel for me in this area, (Leeds & District water).

Tadcaster, The short 'Britannia' stretch just below the bridge holds a few barbel, but can be hit and miss depending on the conditions. The rest of the Tadcaster length right down to the Leeds water at Ulleskelf, you can find barbel in most pegs. One trick on here is feed down the edge as the tide comes in, and lay-on at high water, it usually produces for me.

I don't use pellets, just plain old, maggots, casters, meat, cheese, worms and bread, I do like to feed hemp though.

I prefer to float fish when ever possible, and rarely use a feeder when I leger, preferring to loose feed, (I'm old fashioned like that :) ).

I hope that helps a bit.

John.

Thanks john thats very much appreciated

what a conincidence!

I saw something strange yesterday on the Thames which looked like a section of green nylon washing line tied to a bush and trailing into the water to what looked like a stick. On closer inspection, I saw a tiny sign which I couldn't read fully but it said something about an Oxford University and the words 'experiment - please do not remove'. I saw two of these lines, about 100 yards apart along the bankside, I had never seen these before.

Maybe a similar experiment is going on along your river?

theres problems with disease in the thames our club usually gets its pike via the EA from the thames for our pike teach ins but the chap collecting them was phoned on the way back to return them as disease was found in some fish from the same area.

not sure of where it was though :(

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I once found a piece of cord going in where I normally fish. Being an inquisitive soul I started pulling it. and kept on pulling, and kept on pulling and kept on pulling. After about 5 minutes and what seemed like a mile of cord I managed to find out what was attached to the end...........a (now empty) spool of cord.