distance casting

lyons

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

they are for me i never mastered them ,the advantage with fixed spools is their foolproof to use especially at night .hopefully the rods are fixed spool ringed although a lot of cheap ones tend to have an intermediate ringing so you can use either.

as fixed spool and multipliers let out line differently the ringing is different on the rods but if your just a lobber (like me) rather than a bend the rod distance wizard it makes little difference,i havent probably casted more than 50 yards in my life :oops: thats through not having friends to show me how to do it properly ,birds nests thrive in my hands :D

close up rocks are just as good as far out ones in my book ,i have 10 multipliers and only casted once with one in the last 30 years and it was an instant birdsnest :(

"distance" is technique rather than tackle you can cast poorly with the best tackle if you dont have experience or with technique a couple of hundred yards with so so stuff,labels rule in sea fishing as well as carp circles so perfectly good tackle that works strangely doesen't when the new graphics appear on the new stuff.

the downside of fixed spools is their very design the further your lead goes the more friction from the spool there is and the harder it is to release line!.

in fixed spools big is best more line on spool, bigger spools hold say 200 yards of line nearer the lip! and more under neath a spool that only held 200 yards could never cast that far because of the angle to the lip of the spool from the remaining line on it.

multipliers have the advantage in delivering line in the right hands but are slower bringing it in and at night unless you know whats what multipliers easily over run whereas it makes little difference in a fixed spool!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've been teaching casting about 15 years now and have seen 'the lot' in that time.

You are certainly limited by the kind of gear you are using and how it is tuned to you.

Some rods will never cast more than 75 yards; they're better for training your 'runners' on.

High quality and often expensive rods are no guarantee of distance. Most are too stiff for someone developing their technique.

My advice for a beginner is to aim at a middle range, light (if you are not a 'rock hauler') but 'throughish' actioned rod in the £80 - 130 bracket.

Probably the most important thing is just understanding the simple physics of casting. Nothing will get you over that hurdle like an hour or two spent with a good coach.

Reels almost don't matter! Your multiplier MUST be a 6500/525 size reel for mixed and clean ground. Go to a 7000/SLOSH or 535 size for rough stuff. Make sure it has a centrifugal and/or magnetic breaking system or be prepared for heartbreak!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a suitable F/S if you choose carefully and load it correctly.

Have a look see how many top match anglers now use continental style long rods, F/Ss and braid for distance (where necessary) and speed.

I dunno where you are based lyons, but you're welcome for a chat down here at Hayling if you are nearby.

Otherwise check Sea Angler (call them for a registered instructor in your area) or the NFSA site for a coach.

:rolleyes:

£80 - £130 :o thats more than my cars worth :D

my techniques useless i can cast further with my 12ft rod than my 14ft i just cannot keep contact with the lead as i cast ,rather than going over in a gracefull curve it takes a shortcut and goes over at about 12ft :D

i dont even think the rod bends and i find i can cast better with 2oz weights than 6oz :wacko:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

There's no excuse for that, Chesters meee boy!

Here's one I prepared earlier ...

Graham wanted to develop a good technique and it took him all of 1 hour; then it's down to practise! He was using my Penn Light Beach 'thingy' and Shimano Bantam Mag which I use for all my multiplier tuition.

castingleadpositioncompression.jpg

Casting is sooooo easy .....

:rolleyes:

is it the white shoes?

Your high heels will probably stick in the sand, Chesters!

:whistling:

thanks you 2.i will take note of what you said and keep practicing my technique,and wont change to a multi yet.when i can make it to hayling i will let you know(not this side of xmas).by then maybe i will be better.oh and i wont forget the white trainers :rolleyes::thumbs:

I think it comes down to how much trouble you are prepared to take. If you are happy to make the effort to develop a reasonably good casting technique and prepared to do the greater maintenance required then a multiplier is much more satisfying to use. If you just want to lob out your tackle and give your reel no more than a quick run under a tap when you get in, then a fixed spool is better. Fixed spool reels will still work if you neglect them, they just look rough, multipliers will not.

Using a fixed spool reel isn't the route to a problem free life that some people would have you think. There are still problems (although less serious than bird's nests!) like line twist when using the heavy lines used in sea fishing. They also have a limited lifespan because the gear ratios tend to be too high for the heavy loads they are put under.

I think it comes down to how much trouble you are prepared to take. If you are happy to make the effort to develop a reasonably good casting technique and prepared to do the greater maintenance required then a multiplier is much more satisfying to use. If you just want to lob out your tackle and give your reel no more than a quick run under a tap when you get in, then a fixed spool is better. Fixed spool reels will still work if you neglect them, they just look rough, multipliers will not.

Using a fixed spool reel isn't the route to a problem free life that some people would have you think. There are still problems (although less serious than bird's nests!) like line twist when using the heavy lines used in sea fishing. They also have a limited lifespan because the gear ratios tend to be too high for the heavy loads they are put under.

thanks colin ,i av got a lot to take in and learn thanks for all of your advice.i am sure i will be back with more questions when i am stuck.