Just wondering..........??

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Blimey don't you guys sleep. :D

Rod positions are a personal thing, when you get the yak have get out and have a paddle do a bit of fishing and have a fiddle to find where you want the rods, what feels comfortable, are the tips clear of the paddle when paddling etc. There is a section on fitting flush mounts on http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk they are very cheap and easy to fit.

The Prowler 13's are in the country so you should be able to get one. Safety wise go for a bright colour, it's very easy to disappear from view when at sea, make sure that the other users can see you...the fish don't mind.

Yakity: just thought you would like to know that they had to do a self rescue! :D

SM

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy at Bournemouth Canoe centre mentioned that the color of the kayak was not as important as many would believe as once your out on the sea its easy for the kayak to be hidden by the waves regardless of colour, but that if you had flares, phone etc you should be ok! was a bit taken aback by this but if I went for a olive one with high visiblity paddles and jacket I should be alright?

A green kayak would give me more a stealth option when I fish freshwater.

Was reading a thread on this on a US forum yesterday and the point about being visible to other boats came up a few times and that a brightly colored paddle waved in the air seemed to work wonders at letting oncoming boats know where you are :o )

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Last year when I spoke to the OK distributor for the first time they told me that they wouldn't be importing the olive colour due to safety at sea issues, but this year they have had to due to freshwater demands.

You have to keep your eyes peeled though regardless of colour, waterski boats and yachties can be the main problems, cos neither watch where they are going. :rolleyes:

If you are going to fish remotely it may be worth getting a VHF licence and handheld Radio for peace of mind.

SM

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Hi Guys,

On the viasibility subject, there is NO doubt that a bright coloured Yak is better for use at sea.

Next season I will be flying a high vis flag on the rear of the Yak.

It will get in the way I hear you say :rolleyes.

Not if positioned close behind the seat, so , if you need to pass the rod around the rear of the Yak , you can pass it over hand around the flag.

I reckon that all us Kayakfisherman should think about adopting the idea.

Anything that adds to our safety while on the sea is a bonus.

YY :)

Starvin,

Ive had a e-mail from Simon at Bournemouth Canoes.

He has asked if he can form a link with us Kayakfisherman.

Are you up for him linking to Anglers Afloat ??

I havnt a clue how GF is doing with the UKKA site,that is another possible link.

Give him a mail, to let him know either way, if you could please.

Let me know your thoughts.

YY

I think the flag is a great idea and wonder if it would be possible to afix some sort of radar reflector to the top of the pole? If it is the proper shape it wouldn't have to be large or heavy to allow a decent radar return to a boat in the area.

It should be possible to rig something that would collapse for storage but expand easily for when you were at sea. There may even be a commercial item available for purchase.

[ 01. December 2004, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Yakity,

I'll scribe Simon a mail

SM

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X