Just wondering..........??

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi Tony,

I would say that nearly all Kayaks are very hard to sink, not just the Malibu Extreme.

You would need to do something realy daft to sink them.

Like try to remove a hatch in rough waters, and get yourself into trouble.

Or get too close to rocks, that sort of thing.

The lifespan of a Kayak is down to its owner in the main.

If you persist on dragging a Yak carelessly across beaches, pavements and other obsticles, then it will obviously take a beating and shorten its life.

After EVERY trip mine are washed off with fresh water.

They are then stored on their sides, out of the sun, untill my next trip.

The Ocean Kayak Scrambler xt is a very robust all round Kayak. The quality is second to none.

I have two of them now, and I am extremely happy with them.

Regarding the hull slap, yes there is a bit, but it hasnt stopped me from catching a bass or three :D

As for the dry ride thing, we fish from small craft on the sea,wet is what we do:)

Even in the so called dry ride Yaks, you WILL get wet cobblers and bottom (how polite is that)

There is no reason why you should not fish from a Yak in the winter.

Of course the weather and sea state play a very big part in that.

Dressing to suit the conditions, and maybe shortening a session would certainly help.

Tony Im becomeing suspicious of you, with regard to the river thing,I would like to think no Kayaker would adopt that sort of attitude.

As far as the legal bit, the honest answer is, "I dont know."

You would need to check that out for yourself.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers.

YY :)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Grant,

I remember you said you were going to try it.

Did you persuade your buddy to have a go in the end??

There must be some wonderfull grounds about you in Jersey , might have to jump on the ferry one day, Ill bring a spare Yak:D

Was the Kayak you were in, a sit on top Grant ??

How much fishing did you do from it, any success.

Thanks for the reply Yakity Yak.

Why are you becoming suscipious of me?! I thought my questions seemed reasonable. The "have kayak will paddle" 'question' was simply aimed at trying to provoke answers based around the freedom gained to the kayaker and where they can't and shouldn't go.

Anyway have a few more I would like to put forward.

Do you go out this time of year at all, or is it mainly a Spring/Summer thing?

Do you ever fall off your kayak?

What type of fishing gear do you use/take? I noticed a lot of the Americans often use short bass rods only 5ft or so in length with multipliers -- and also take a few rods with them too.

Whats your thoughts regarding fishfinders? Worth the expense?

Sounds like you have been kayak fishing for some time now if you now have two kayaks --- I appreciate your feedback.

[ 29. November 2004, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Tony Wan ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Tony,

Just thought I'd add something to this little chat, I intend to fish through the winter, I'm using a 5mm smooth skin steamer at the moment, it's made of very flexible japanese neoprene, this will probably be fine until Jan/Feb, then it will be time for a Cag as well to reduce the wind chill, hat and maybe gloves will also be the order of the day.

Tackle wise will depend on how you like to fish, personally I fish with light tackle, makes the whole experience a lot more fun, 10lb line, short light rods, and a mixture of reels, my smallest rod is just over 6ft, longest 2.1m, if you intend to do some trolling you will probably need longer rods.

Fishfinders, well I've got one and it's interesting to see what I'm fishing over, and at what depth, it also helps when float fishing to know roughly at what depth the fish are at, it's nice to see people's faces when I get back to the beach and they see it fitted, it usually gets them chatting. If you are thinking of getting one though, don't buy cheap, resolution is everything, the more detail the better.

Falling off is all part of the deal, especially in the surf, I've done it, Salar did it for the Camera, Yakity likes to watch people doing it, not sure he has done it though...Yakity.

Freshwater, hmmm, not sure if you need a licence for a yak, check with the local rivers authority.

On the point of hull slap, my Caper did it, put the battery for the finder up front, no more hull slap, don't know whether that will work on other models though.

Blimey worn out now, hope that this has made sence, been on my computer now for 12 hours without only 1 quick break, still got a couple more hours to go...work do we have to!

SM

SM

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

hi Starvin

Thanks for taking the time to make that post cleared a lot of things up for me.

I guess if your going kayaking fishing during the winter time it may be better to stick to calmer waters such as estuaries and rivers where theres less chance of being thrown into the drink.

[ 29. November 2004, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Tony Wan ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Tony,

You are very welcome.

As far as the River Paddleing goes, I realy dont know much about the whys or wherefores.

My first love is the sea, in all her splendour, her smell, her moods, and the fun I have out there.

I have not been Kayaking that long, this was my first season on the water.

The reason I have two XTs, is that I hope to get my 19 year old son out there with me.

Also as a family we can have fun on them.

I have been promiseing myself some Flounder fishing from the Yak , but havnt had the time to get out yet.

Hope to get some time out there soon.

Without doubt ( just my oppinion ) fishing from a Yak is more comfortable with the sun warming your back :D , But as I said, as long as you dress and prepare yourself for the conditions why not ?

There is a golden rule,.....rig to fish, and dress to flip :

On a personal note, what hieght and wieght are you tony.

Might help with Yak sujestions for you.

Cheers.

A Kayak is a boat, so in a river you will have to have some form of permit to use it. Every river has some kind of "rights" attached to it. Big naviagable rivers like the Thames sell day, week, month and annual tickets based on length of boat. There are also safely regulations that are quite stringent, but shouldn't affect a kayak. Smaller rivers and canals will have different authorities and different regulations. Best research this through the inland boating sites/magazines for contacts to help you. Hope that helps.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Not often I can help on a Kayak thread! Have fun, and remember, be careful on a river that contains snapping turtles....

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk