Bait changes

Errrm

Hi,

I was wondering how people change there baits as we progress into the colder months, currently I am favouring hemp and halibut pellets for river fishing. I think I am going to swap the halibut pellets for sweetcorn and possibly some micro halibut pellets for the next month. 2 reasons for this, first the larger pellets I use for baits are not as effective and the fish have more trouble digesting them ( this being the most obvious ) but secondly with hair rigged pellets I had 4 chub pick up the bait but not by enough to get the hook as well ( and after catching a large barbel i fancy one of the submarine like chub I saw :-) ). So I am going to switch to corn directly on the hook. How does everyone elses approach differ on rivers? Do you continue to use hemp, I'm guessing it is still a good attractant and isn't filling enough so that in winter fish will get full just on the hemp plus it will hold the fish as it does as normal. Are these assumptions correct?

Errrm

In my experience chub are one of the least affected by cool weather of are coarse fish and probably one of the must likely to pick up a halibut pellet in winter.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

In my experience chub are one of the least affected by cool weather of are coarse fish and probably one of the must likely to pick up a halibut pellet in winter.

Chub love it cold! When it's really cold and clear, that always signals bread time for me (mashed bread and a lump of flake on the hook). If it's high and coloured, I'd go for something smellier like meat or cheesepaste.

If the conditions are right this winter I might try fish baits for the really giant chub in the Thames. A nice tasty whitebait fished in the darkness...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Chub love it cold! When it's really cold and clear, that always signals bread time for me (mashed bread and a lump of flake on the hook). If it's high and coloured, I'd go for something smellier like meat or cheesepaste.

If the conditions are right this winter I might try fish baits for the really giant chub in the Thames. A nice tasty whitebait fished in the darkness...

I agree with you there, most of my winter chub come to a nice big piece of bread flake trotted through a swim.

I'd be inclined to try a nice fat lobworm in high coloured conditions before meat or cheesepaste.