Trout water piking

Neil G

I've managed to book a place to fish Chew Valley at the end of October which has a good reputation for some big pike.

I've never fished a stocked trout water before so was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what tactics work at these kind of places.

I've read that deads are almost a complete waste of time at these kind of waters but lures are good. I do have quite a few bulldawgs & burts plus other jerkbaits and was thinking of just using these there to try and cover as much water as possible.

Any suggestions?

I did think about drifting deads as I'm unsure as to wether static ones will be taken by pike in such waters.

The issue is the tackle/stuff required to fish deads & lures and covering water...easy to get weighed down doing both.

If I could be 100% confident in lures I'd just take them

Have done a little on trout waters, er about 4 visiits but so far between us the ratio currently stands at 3:1 in favour of lures saying that the biggest fish ive personally seen from that water fell to a herring being bank fished at the time

How many rods can you use, and are you boat or bank fishing?

if your in a boat and can fish two rods well throw a dead out while you throw lures there is a lot of anecdotal eveidence to suggest that followers on lures will take deads as they pass them after giving up on the lure thats in use use

Have you ever seen Chew? It's HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGEEEEEEEEEE :o

Never fished it so can't help that much I'm afraid. Boat is good but people do catch from the shore. I think most of the guys chuck out a dead bait and keep an eye on it whilst lure fishing. Deads do work. No freshwater baits at all. Including lamprey. And they check your flask apparently! Lures have to be above a certain size. No lives.

I think you've just got to work really hard and try to cover as much as possible.

Do not forget your licence. The EA are nearly always there on the pike days.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

I know Chew is huge as I usually drive past it on the way to go and fish Cheddar reservoir for the pike....IIRC Chew is about 400 acres.

The miniumum lure size is 4 inches which is fine as most of the ones I'm planning on using (Dawgs & Burts are all way bigger than that).

I'm bank fishing so there's no way I can cover as much water as the guys in the boats plus I'll have to carry all my gear! I suppose there's also the issue of wind as well as that will limit where you can fish...not much fun lobbing 3oz jerkbaits into a headwind!

Anyone else have any experience of catching on deads at troutwaters....still undecided as to wether I should take a rod for that.

I'd definitely take a rod for Deads, Pike grow big in Trout Waters gorging themselves on winter-kill Rainbows so to suggest they won't take static deads is daft. Lure fishing might allow you to cover more water to find the fish but if you find them they may well respond better to Deads.

Plenty of literature suggesting that deads are ineffetive but I'm going to try some anyway...just have to be prepared to haul around lots of gear!

I reckon large Mackerel would be good....oily scent trail plus the important factor that they cast very well.

caught my pb pike from Chew. On a large abu salmo spoon ( a bigger than usual toby). Boat partner had a 30, on....a copper/red spoon. I also had a 19 on an toothy critter spoon.So, spoons have done the biz there, don't leave home without 'em. Tight lines.Too far away now to go!