GraylingFishing

Clansman 1314

Hi folks

I have just registerd on the site, my first impression of the site was that it appears to have some very knowledgeable members. I hope you wont mind me asking lots of questions as I have just got back into fishing this year after many many years away.

My first question is as follows:

I have been asked to go grayling fishing this weekend and was wondering if anyone could advise on the type of floats to use etc when trotting either Maggot or Sweetcorn.

Thanks in advance

Clansman

LIKE NIKE - JUST DO IT!!!

Hi folks

I have just registerd on the site, my first impression of the site was that it appears to have some very knowledgeable members. I hope you wont mind me asking lots of questions as I have just got back into fishing this year after many many years away.

My first question is as follows:

I have been asked to go grayling fishing this weekend and was wondering if anyone could advise on the type of floats to use etc when trotting either Maggot or Sweetcorn.

Thanks in advance

Clansman

I use Drennan Loafers - clear, stubby floats that carry a lot of shot - depending on the river I will use 2.5ssg floats or in heavy flow 4 or even 5ssg. On shallow streams I'll occasionally scale down to the 1ssg version...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I'm either using chubba/loafers or avon floats ,mostly lke this

026631.jpg

sometimes use a olivette as bulk shot ,Its the bulk shot that gets the bait down to the grayling

maggot ,corn , red worm all do well for grayling.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

You're in for a treat!

Floats have been covered (any river 'top and bottom' float will do, as long as it's bouyant enough to ride the fast water and visible enough to see). For bait, I'd suggest red maggot, sweetcorn and bread. All are good grayling baits. I'd start with maggots and ring the changes if they start to get a bit suspicious. Remember to keep a trickle of freebies going in to keep them interested.

By the way, grayling can be found in surprisingly shallow water - as little as a foot. Don't discount the shallow water.

Good luck!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

By the way, grayling can be found in surprisingly shallow water - as little as a foot. Don't discount the shallow water.

Especially before the really cold weather arrives (when it's worth trying the deeper stretches), they love to frequent the shallows where the water ripples over the gravel.

In crystal clear water, you won't see a sign of them, but they are there.

The times I've seen anglers walk past a shallow area looking for fish through their polaroids, and pass by a shallow area stuffed with fish, or been surprised myself when trotting through a 'fishless' looking area to see the float disappear and found a very excited and energetic grayling on the hook.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Especially before the really cold weather arrives (when it's worth trying the deeper stretches), they love to frequent the shallows where the water ripples over the gravel.

In crystal clear water, you won't see a sign of them, but they are there.

The times I've seen anglers walk past a shallow area looking for fish through their polaroids, and pass by a shallow area stuffed with fish, or been surprised myself when trotting through a 'fishless' looking area to see the float disappear and found a very excited and energetic grayling on the hook.

Spot on Leon - a mate and I were down on the Itchen 10 days ago and we stuck with the fast shallow water and had an amazing day's fishing (see blog entry for 8th Oct!). Both of us had 70+ fish, 1-in-3 over a pound and a good smattering of 2lb+ fish. There were 3 other anglers all fishing the deeper reaches while we were there and whilst they all caught - twas nothing like the quality or quantity Paul and I encountered in the shallows!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Totally agree also. Went grayling fishing on wednesday, and although i didnt manage any of the bigger fish, the biggest of the day at 3/4 lb was caught in about 9 inches of water at the bottom of a long gravel run

I too totally agree that Grayling can be caught in very shallow water. Last year on the Itchen I had a 2lber in 6 inches of water, on further inspection there was an undercut bank that they were holed up in and just popping out for the odd morsel that came past.

I have changed from using stick floats to Avons, chubbers and loafers as they give you more control in the faster water that the Grayling usually tend to favour. I have however be given some Grayling floats that I intend to try this coming winter.

Edited by seph

Paul

Just checked my river float case ,ready for restoking in time for nov.18th's trip to timsbury Manor AN trip

Myfloats002.jpg

ooo00 i think i need another chubba ! ( i've got my red tipped one someware )

my Small Grayling Avons for shallow water's

graylingfloats001-1.jpg

And on the outer flap My light stickfloats.

Myfloats003.jpg

I keep My floats in converted pencil cases (Wallet type for shorter floats & tube type for longer floats) just add smoe float foam and open up one or two elastic straps to cater for flat boxes of floatrubbers (old hook boxes) etc.

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Thanks for the info guys.

just heading off now to Scotland (4pm), I will be fishing the River Clyde near Abington.

will let you know how i got on when I return (Tuesday).

Clansman

LIKE NIKE - JUST DO IT!!!