confused

Andykelly

I am a novice at fishing been doing it for about 3 months with a rod mainly float fishing and had some good catches .But we went to a place on sunday called blundells and all i caught was small bream and perch but there was also a lot of guys there with poles and the guy next to me on a pole was pulling big fish out for fun can any 1 suggest why this is i heard he was using caster and worm the same as me just didnt make sense and it wasnt just me every one that was rod fishing was doing similiar to me but the guys with the poles were doing much much better

errr isnt that the reason anyone goes fishing??

theres a rather old saying "if you cant beat them join them"

both methods have their good points ,poles are excellent at putting small light tackle with pin point precision but suffer when large fish are caught ,rods can handle most sizes of fish but are at a disadvantage in presentation.

the compromise is to use light tackle and learn to cast to the same spot every time ,if your using a large float and heavy line with a size 14 your not in most circumstances going to get the amount of bites a pole fisherman is using far lighter tackle.

a competant rod user can easily cast 14mtrs underarm with the exact same tackle as the pole fisherman if your tackles balanced ,i can easily cast further using an old 14ft fiberglass rod and 506 than someone using the latest tackle overhand (and definately quieter) if their tackle isnt balanced.

the secret is use as lighter tackle as possible for the conditions ,its pointless using a 10" float with half of it sticking out at a rods lenght as i see by those that complain their not getting bites :rolleyes:

some of the tackle i see is eye opening ,kids with 6ft rods trying to cast with nothing short of mono that should be on a beachcaster setup and needing their largest float and a box of shot to actually get their floats to go anywhere from a half empty reel !!!

whilst long ago money was the reason when i was a kid unbalanced tackle (and very knotty line) was used the real cost of tackle has fallen so with a bit of advice rather than just handing over tackle to kids by retailers more may actually enjoy fishing and not bin their tackle after a few fruitless outings.

as soon as people realise its whats in the water that catches the fish the stuff on the other end so long as its suitable is irrelevant ,its not the latest tradename or graphics on the tackle that makes a good angler its the angler!!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson