Braid help please

skippytheroo

Hi all

Ive been tasked with loading up my friends reel with braid that he bought. Im a bit of a novice with the different types of braid and the stuff he has bought is called berkely Iron Silk. It feels completely different to the braid I bought which is more like string. This Iron Silk feels more like mono. Im trying to fit 300yds of it onto a sl30sh and before I break into the spool I want to make sure its the right stuff. Its for using on a boat wrecking for cod ling etc Trip is tomorrow so its gonna be a mad dash into town to get it swapped if its the wrong stuff

Regards

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

skippytheroo:

Hi all

Ive been tasked with loading up my friends reel with braid that he bought. Im a bit of a novice with the different types of braid and the stuff he has bought is called berkely Iron Silk. It feels completely different to the braid I bought which is more like string. This Iron Silk feels more like mono. Im trying to fit 300yds of it onto a sl30sh and before I break into the spool I want to make sure its the right stuff. Its for using on a boat wrecking for cod ling etc Trip is tomorrow so its gonna be a mad dash into town to get it swapped if its the wrong stuff

Regards

:cool: Hi, Iron Silk is not a braid, it's a co-polymer nylon. Although it is thinner than some lines and has less stech it's not as thin as braid.

You may get 300 yds on a SLOSH 30 but I'm not sure, you will get 300 yds of braid on it, in fact some of the Iron Silk will do as backing. :D

Not sure of the depth :P Summer or Big Cod will know Im sure :P Hope so as we are going on Sea Otter tomorrow. Ive loaded my reel fully with braid and one of my friends reels, I just had this last one to do when he turned up with the Iron Silk. I put some mono on first then a couple of layers of masking tape followed by the braid which I attached to the mono using a small swivel (knots arent my strong point :P )Cant wait for tomorrow now I keep packing and then repacking my box :P Wife thinks Im mad :P I think she's right.

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

whitby fishing really well im told

loadsa cod and ling to mid double figures

and a brilliant forecast for tomorrow

so enjoy ya sen

the north sea around whitby aint all that deep

200ft max i would have thought

Iron silk :( Nasty stuff. When I used it, it seemed to wrot in about 6 months? Lost a couple of good fish becase of it. Would have been a great sustitute for braid other wise, dont like braid :rolleyes:

CJS2