Help with leaders and how to attach them to fly-line

Pipe

Hi! I just want to know how do you attach your fly-line to your leaders and how do you make your leaders? I'm knew to this game.... Maybe you could attach some photos etc.

Yes please!

Hi! I just want to know how do you attach your fly-line to your leaders and how do you make your leaders? I'm knew to this game.... Maybe you could attach some photos etc.

Hi Pipe,

I always use Loop to Loop for attaching to your main line, If your mainline hasn't got a Loop on the end then you can buy the braided Loops on their own any tackle shop with fly gear should have em, there easy to fit and have instructions on how but I recommend a drop of super glue for extra security. For leaders I use a short ready made 5ft to 6ft tapered leader which you can also buy and come in Floating, Hover, Intermediate, Slow Sink, Fast Sink, I mainly use the Floating one which ties onto your mainline via the loop to loop, there are different company's do them I use Airflo but not much difference. For Tippet I always use fluorocarbon and depending on conditions use what ever length for the day, just tie this using which ever knot you prefer, you can buy Tapered Tippets but I don't think these make a difference,

IMG_2386.jpg

The picture is not the best but will give you an idea what to look for, Loops to the left, short Leader in the packet this one is sinking version, other ways of tying rather than a Loop to Loop is just Surgeon Knot or Water Knot,

Hope this helps Pipe maybe some of the others have different ideas but this is what I use, :thumbs:

Scott....

Edited by happymondays

Hi Pipe,

I always use Loop to Loop for attaching to your main line, If your mainline hasn't got a Loop on the end then you can buy the braided Loops on their own any tackle shop with fly gear should have em, there easy to fit and have instructions on how but I recommend a drop of super glue for extra security. For leaders I use a short ready made 5ft to 6ft tapered leader which you can also buy and come in Floating, Hover, Intermediate, Slow Sink, Fast Sink, I mainly use the Floating one which ties onto your mainline via the loop to loop, there are different company's do them I use Airflo but not much difference. For Tippet I always use fluorocarbon and depending on conditions use what ever length for the day, just tie this using which ever knot you prefer, you can buy Tapered Tippets but I don't think these make a difference,

IMG_2386.jpg

The picture is not the best but will give you an idea what to look for, Loops to the left, short Leader in the packet this one is sinking version, other ways of tying rather than a Loop to Loop is just Surgeon Knot or Water Knot,

Hope this helps Pipe maybe some of the others have different ideas but this is what I use, :thumbs:

Scott....

Thank you, this helps a lot! How would your leaders differ when you do saltwater flyfishing?

Edited by Pipe

Yes please!

Thank you, this helps a lot! How would your leaders differ when you do saltwater fly fishing?

Pipe

not too sure not done a lot of sea fly fishing but would have thought you would step the gear up to suit the stronger currents and tides of sea water as opposed to freshwater, maybe some of the other's are more experienced than me could give you some info, what you looking to go for? and what weight rod have you got? I think the sea rod outfits are more up the #10 weight and would presume leaders of 15lb would be more adequate as sea fish wont be so much spooked by presentation and would probably be attracted to a splash on the surface,

Scott...

I use two methods Firstly Braided loops that are ok but for light stuff a bit obtrusive,

I have startead to make small loops from Amniesia and ataching them to the tip of the fly line with a needle knot I use a dab of Uv activated wader glue to set it off. and connecting my Tippit to them.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I use two methods Firstly Braided loops that are ok but for light stuff a bit obtrusive,

I have startead to make small loops from Amniesia and ataching them to the tip of the fly line with a needle knot I use a dab of Uv activated wader glue to set it off. and connecting my Tippit to them.

Good idea FB,

Whats the Arabic phrase, and I am presuming it is Arabic, has it got anything to do with food and don't take this the wrong way FB but was curious goggled it but could only find recipes? :D

Good idea FB,

Whats the Arabic phrase, and I am presuming it is Arabic, has it got anything to do with food and don't take this the wrong way FB but was curious goggled it but could only find recipes? :D

I ate all the pies ;)

as for the amniesia it just a new take on a tried and tested old method. on the slime line type inter- meidiates Use clear amneisa and the transition is virtualy seemless making the need for long tippets less of an issue and improving the turn over of the heavier flies.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I ate all the pies ;)

Ha Ha Lol :D