Protecting Wild Trout

Elton

Just added an EA news release abou this, here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/protecting_wild_trout.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

It's a pretty fair point, the best trout fishing for brown trout, near me, is on a stretch of river that can't have had any significant change in its genetic makeup for centuries due to no stocking and a large weir. The tyne, which used to have a fantastic head of brown trout, is less of a trout river than it was (though still holding good brown trout) which may be linked to an increase in stockings further downstream but could easily be due to the change in the farming techniques or the lack of pollution?

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

It's a pretty fair point, the best trout fishing for brown trout, near me, is on a stretch of river that can't have had any significant change in its genetic makeup for centuries due to no stocking and a large weir. The tyne, which used to have a fantastic head of brown trout, is less of a trout river than it was (though still holding good brown trout) which may be linked to an increase in stockings further downstream but could easily be due to the change in the farming techniques or the lack of pollution?

Of course Brown Trout should be protected. They are the sign of a healthy river, just like the presence of grayling are. However I do not feel I am sufficiently enough qualified to comment on the use of triploid browns. I can understand the point about cross breeding however. Am I right in thinking that almost each watercourse trout appear in has it's own strain. If that is the case there is a very strong point to make for stocking each river only with fish bred from the strain.

I know many others will say 'No Stocking' at all, invest in very good keepering and let the trout flourish with help. A very good case for this is demonstrated by a guy called Warren Slaney who looks after an estate water in Derbyshire. If his work could be replicated there would be no need to have a discussion on stocking BUT C & R would become a requirement I guess. If you want one for the pot you would have to fish a stocked pond / lake / reservoir

Di! Ecce hora. Uxor mea me necabit.

hi all i need a litel help hear has any one fished ,burnmoor, scoat, low ,or scales tarn for trout any advice on flies/bait would be a great help

what people dont know dont hurt em

life is like a pube on a toilet seat some times you just get **** off

I'm just dishonest. You can always trust an honest man to be dishonest.Honestly, it's the honest man you need to look out for, because you never know when he's going to do something incredibly stupid." - Jack Sparrow

Hi High seas, I'd put your request in a seperate thread otherwise it will get lost on here, one of the moderators (HI GuYS) may help.

Damper, Most wild brown trout in the UK are not unique strains, as prior to the industrial revolution many rivers had runs of sea trout which spread the gene pool, there are however some unique strains and they do need protecting...the best way to do it...don't stock fish!! but that's not always viable, the triploid alternative may be a sensible option.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY