Thinking about starting

Errrm

Hi,

I've been thinking about starting fly fishing recently, I'm a member of Burton Mutual Angling Association which controls quite a few miles of fishing on the Dove above Burton and also I think a stocked lake. I generally prefer fishing on lighter equipment if possible so I what sort of rod should I be thinking about?

Also is late autum/winter still a good time to go fly fishing? The last time I went to the Dove there were fishing rising all the time, there seems to be a lot of grayling in the river so I guess these would still be feeding during the winter what about trout and chub?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Errrm

Hi,

I've been thinking about starting fly fishing recently, I'm a member of Burton Mutual Angling Association which controls quite a few miles of fishing on the Dove above Burton and also I think a stocked lake. I generally prefer fishing on lighter equipment if possible so I what sort of rod should I be thinking about?

Also is late autum/winter still a good time to go fly fishing? The last time I went to the Dove there were fishing rising all the time, there seems to be a lot of grayling in the river so I guess these would still be feeding during the winter what about trout and chub?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

ErrrmAutumn

Errrm

depends on how big the rivers are and if your going to wade if they are big, I have 3 rods one is a #6 weight for days on medium to big rivers and if its windy, #4 weight rod for small streams and rivers and a #9 weight rod for big still waters but haven't used this for a while as I tend to fish rivers or some small Tarns, If I was to pick one rod probably be the #6 weight pretty much in the middle and not too heavy on the arms all day, but I do like the #4 weight its really great to use but hard work in a headwind.

Fishing in winter, Grayling fishing is good sport in the colder months not too sure on the rivers you mention never fished them, Trout is a no no as it is the closed season for these and Rainbows, Salmon, Sea Trout, on all rivers, but no closed season on Lakes, Reservoirs and Stillwaters, but some do stop fishing down to the individual water.

Closed Season

Depending on your area but most are same dates, Chubb never fished them on fly only float and Ledgering but worth a try,

Hope this helps and good luck :thumbs:

Scott.....

Errrm

depends on how big the rivers are and if your going to wade if they are big, I have 3 rods one is a #6 weight for days on medium to big rivers and if its windy, #4 weight rod for small streams and rivers and a #9 weight rod for big still waters but haven't used this for a while as I tend to fish rivers or some small Tarns, If I was to pick one rod probably be the #6 weight pretty much in the middle and not too heavy on the arms all day, but I do like the #4 weight its really great to use but hard work in a headwind.

Fishing in winter, Grayling fishing is good sport in the colder months not too sure on the rivers you mention never fished them, Trout is a no no as it is the closed season for these and Rainbows, Salmon, Sea Trout, on all rivers, but no closed season on Lakes, Reservoirs and Stillwaters, but some do stop fishing down to the individual water.

Closed Season

Depending on your area but most are same dates, Chubb never fished them on fly only float and Ledgering but worth a try,

Hope this helps and good luck :thumbs:

Scott.....

Thanks,

So you can still fly fish on rivers during the winter as long as you are not fishing for trout? How can you prove this? Is it better to just not fly fish during the winter?

Thanks,

So you can still fly fish on rivers during the winter as long as you are not fishing for trout? How can you prove this? Is it better to just not fly fish during the winter?

Errrm

you can fish during winter as Grayling fishing starts in earnest as the game fish ends, and Grayling are classed as a salmonoid (Game) but spawn in the spring and early summer months like coarse fish so are safe to fish for, regarding the fishing and catching trout just put any trout or other Game fish back with good care as long as you don't take and kill any your quite within your rights to fish all winter long for Grayling on the rivers, and Grayling are a beautiful fish and give a good account of themselves so definitely have a go for them. Also most still waters stay open all year round now so there is always a trout fisherie to have a go on and would be a great way to practice on getting confidence and trying different patterns,

Scott...

Errrm

you can fish during winter as Grayling fishing starts in earnest as the game fish ends, and Grayling are classed as a salmonoid (Game) but spawn in the spring and early summer months like coarse fish so are safe to fish for, regarding the fishing and catching trout just put any trout or other Game fish back with good care as long as you don't take and kill any your quite within your rights to fish all winter long for Grayling on the rivers, and Grayling are a beautiful fish and give a good account of themselves so definitely have a go for them. Also most still waters stay open all year round now so there is always a trout fisherie to have a go on and would be a great way to practice on getting confidence and trying different patterns,

Scott...

Thanks that makes it clearer for me.

Thanks that makes it clearer for me.

Sound advice all I would add is see if you can get a guide come tutor for your first couple of trips ,Fishing a river on a fly is as good as it gets :D but brave if you are light on experiance and heavy on expectation It could well be the best money you have spent in years.I did it the hard way and it took me an age to slip a net under my first fish,

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Sound advice all I would add is see if you can get a guide come tutor for your first couple of trips ,Fishing a river on a fly is as good as it gets :D but brave if you are light on experiance and heavy on expectation It could well be the best money you have spent in years.I did it the hard way and it took me an age to slip a net under my first fish,

I would have no problem being able to pay for a 1 hour or so lesson which seems to be the general advice given out from what I have read in all the other posts like this, but that would be on a still water and so I would assume that fishing on a river is totally different due to the flow and having to get the fly to drift down at a natrual pace ( I assume by mending the line at the correct times? ), but I unfortunatly don't know anyone who fly fishes but perhaps I could contact the club and see if they know of anyone.

Thanks again for the advice.

Errrm

I would have no problem being able to pay for a 1 hour or so lesson which seems to be the general advice given out from what I have read in all the other posts like this, but that would be on a still water and so I would assume that fishing on a river is totally different due to the flow and having to get the fly to drift down at a natrual pace ( I assume by mending the line at the correct times? ), but I unfortunatly don't know anyone who fly fishes but perhaps I could contact the club and see if they know of anyone.

Thanks again for the advice.

Errrm

Go the route of the local tackle shop mate they will know someone

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!