Best pike trace material?

andyml

Hi Folks,

having had a pike trace fail in a 17 pounder's mouth the other day (luckiliy after landing) I am interested to know what other pike angler's prefer for deadbaiting?....this trace was retailed by a major brand and rated 20lbs b/s

I have been very impressed indeed by some whychwood trace wire in my tackle box.... very supple with excellent anti-kink propertes albeit at the expense of increased diameter (which doesn't bother me)

looking forward to hearing your suggestions

brgds <')Andy<

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy make your own traces mate.That way you have total control over the materials used,length,strength,distance between hooks etc etc.BUT above all you have total control over the quality.

It really isnt hard to do.There are many different wires,hooks etc and several different ways to make them but thats down to you to find which suits you best.

Here is a link to how I do it and its NEVER let me down.

Also plenty of other threads on here discussing the merits of various componnents.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/894/V/4/SP/

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Second that....best way to make solid traces is to make them yourself.

Some of the wire used on pre-tied rigs wich is supposed to be 30lb BS is absolute c**p

The wychwood stuff is pretty good along with the trusty Drennan, green coated pike wire in 28lb BS

Fox do a Carbon Coated 30lb wire, which I have just started using it doesn't kink as much as normal wire, but is a bit more expensive.

You might read that heavy flourocarbon is a suitable material for pike and musky traces. It isn't.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hi Folks,

having had a pike trace fail in a 17 pounder's mouth the other day (luckiliy after landing) I am interested to know what other pike angler's prefer for deadbaiting?....this trace was retailed by a major brand and rated 20lbs b/s

I have been very impressed indeed by some whychwood trace wire in my tackle box.... very supple with excellent anti-kink propertes albeit at the expense of increased diameter (which doesn't bother me)

looking forward to hearing your suggestions

brgds <')Andy<

Hi Andy,

I have to agree with the other posters - make up your own traces and that way you have absolute control over the items used. I use 30lb b.s. Fox Easy Twist wire and have never had a problem but you must of course check your traces regularly. Making traces is easy once you get the hang of it too.

Cheers

Ron

thanks for your responses guys.....

in fact i do make my own traces and have been doing so for many years - perhaps i should have made this clearer.

i was just so disappointed at how this particular rig failed (on a crimp)..it was fox's 20lb wire...i prefer wychwood's forty-nine strand wire although it's a little more tricky to feed through the crimps.

i am keen to know which brand trace you use...

thanks again <')Andy<

Sorry Andy I mis understood your post.

Despite having read various articles by people who claim that crimped traces are stronger than twisted/spun up ones all my tests have proved exactly the opposite! Maybe they are twisting/spinning up wrong or I am doing some thing wrong with crimps! Im not so sure I am though as often when I read how these guys make their crimped traces they seem to get that wrong! well In my opinion any way!

No Im 100% for twisted/spun up traces as shown in my article I gave you the link for.As said never let me down and have always proved stronger than even well made crimped traces.

Im not so sure that it really matters which of the wires you use (well within reason any way) as long as you use the right technique (and correctly at that) for each product.Some trace wires will simply not twist up properly and have to be crimped or even tied (as in knotted).

My favourite wire that Ive been using for over 20 years now is 20lb Marlin Steel.Now sadly no longer available and Im down to my last few hundred feet. A thin uncoated wire (havnt a clue how many strands) that twists up beautifully but isnt particularly kink resistant.Certainly cant be "un kinked" and needs replascing soon as any damage happens.I always use this with the twisting/spinning up method of construction and have NEVER had a trace made from it fail.

Ive used a couple of the "softer" multi strand wires (but never felt the need to change yet) the old Calibre Wonder Wire being the best (once again now like rocking horse droppings!) this was very soft but could not be twisted/spun.It was ok though with both knotting and carefull crimping.

On the subject of crimping I reckon you should always pass the wire through the crimp three times and take the ut most care that the wire isnt crossed over it self before crimping with a proper tool.I suppose my big hang up about crimps (and IMO the reason they fail) is that you can often simply not see whats going on with the wire in the crimp when you apply the crimping pressure.

Another wire Ive used is QED.Its like old barge hawser! but lasts forever.Can be un kinked and un tangled/straightened time and time again! Despite its crudeness it doesnt seem to put the pike off! Can be crimped or spun/twisted.

Ive used the older Drennan 7 strand wire and you can only really crimp that,all though if you aneal (sp) it first by heating gently it can be twisted (but not spun) Never really rated it but the newer stuff may be better.Much the same with the Fox wires my brother uses.

So I cant really give you a helpfull "go buy this brand and do this" type answer! Best I can offer is to try the various wires now easily available and see if they can be spun/twisted and build your traces this way.Popular opinion seems to indicate that the AFW 49 strand wires are the way to go but Im not sure exactly how they vary in "twista/spinability" from brand/size to brand/size.Im sure others can help more from a practical experience point of veiw here.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest Brumagem Phil

If anyone can make me some traces with this nice supple 49 strand wire i'm hearing about, and those trebles that only have barbs on one of the prongs, I'd be happy to send em a cheque for a few.....

.....anyone?

I've never tried using any of the more elaborate 49 strand wire and TBH I don't think the pike car wether your using it or the usual 7 strand.

I've always found crimping to be effective when using wire like the Drennan stuff..never had one fail yet