Winter fishing?

norfolkfisher

As alot of fishing is quieting down now, and it seems to be getting harder to catch anything in any sort of numbers, so whats the best fish to aim for at this time of year?

From now till March is my favourite time of year (well as soon as the leafs are off the trees!) Time to get on the rivers - many species will be in there prime now AND the river banks have been deserted by the fair weather anglers.

Favourite species at this time would include chub - will be packing on the weight and in much better nick than a post spawned summer fish. Also feed in practically all conditions too. Grayling are a good choice when the frosts are hard - may be the only thing biting on a really cold day. On milder winter days then perch or barbel will me my quarry and I'm lucky enough to have access to some quality dace fishing. I'll let others talk of pike!

The only truely dire conditions in winter IMO is during a thaw after a prolonged cold snap when salt from road gritting enters the rivers....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Even though I fish for pike much of the year the winter has a certain something special about it..also there's the added bonus that the cold brings by clearing the banks of kids & muppets lol

Edited by Neil G

Even though I fish for pike much of the year the winter has a certain something special about it..also there's the added bonus that the cold brings by clearing the banks of kids & muppets lol

Take away that lol beacuse i am a KID and i fish too so i think you owe all the fishing kids an apoligy and all the others to get a fish (mutch more polite then get a life)

Hope this corrects you,

Wolfie10 :huh:

!You Were Wild Once Dont Let Them Tame You!

ROF - well said Wolfie.

From where I sit, you are both kids but I'm guessing that neither of you is any sort of muppet and I'd be happy to share bank or boat with either of you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Take away that lol beacuse i am a KID and i fish too so i think you owe all the fishing kids an apoligy and all the others to get a fish (mutch more polite then get a life)

Hope this corrects you,

Wolfie10 :huh:

Apologies...I was being a bit generalistic

The 'kids' I'm talking about are the ones that aren't really into fishing like most of the people on here are...the ones that decide to go down the river to have a go at a spot of piking because they're bored, leave litter, annoy other anglers and don't have any net/unhooking tools etc.

Met plenty of nice anglers down on the rivers but the cold does seem to keep less serious at home.

lol @ Newt.....I wish I wish I was a youngster again!

Was speaking to another angler the other day on my canal, and he was saying a group of yobs hooked a good pike, landed it, couldnt get the hook out so killed it, left in on the bank and went home. People like that should be put in a cage and drowned.

Was speaking to another angler the other day on my canal, and he was saying a group of yobs hooked a good pike, landed it, couldnt get the hook out so killed it, left in on the bank and went home. People like that should be put in a cage and drowned.

...or taught the correct way to do it.

The best winter fish to pit your wits against are chub, perch, pike, and roach (and grayling if you're lucky enough to have access to them). It's definitely the time to switch from still to moving water.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I have been frequenting my local river almost every week now for the past 6 months and in the last 6 weeks I have been spotting on a few new stretches. My main quarry are barbel chub and most recently pike. The barbel are sparse and I have yet to catch. I have been catching chub regularly from 4 - 5.5lb and last weekend caught a nice brace of pike 16lb and 18lb trotting dead baits.

I have found that fish spotting and really investigating swims cautiously is paying dividends. I always carry a small pike rod with me as they are so frequent in most rivers