Lovely Autumn session

Kappa

Hi John,

I got one of these (its the rod in the pictures above):

https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/RodsSpinningJerkBaitRods/Tronixpro-Rockfish-ULTRA-LIGHT.htm

and one of these:

https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/RodsSpinningJerkBaitRods/Tronixpro-Rockfish-LIGHT.htm

I think Andrew got one of these:

http://www.gerryslurefishingtackle.co.uk/shakespeare-6ft-9-agility-lrf-057gm.ir

For me with the really small and light lures a very light rod is essential. You just wouldn't see the bites with a more normal lure rod. Andrew will confrim that, I think its fair to say changing rods has made a big difference to his catch rate!

If you want to have a go let me know I would happily show you somewhere near us both that should find a few fish (where the perch above came from)!

Rich

Yes I have one of the Shakespeare Agility rods in Rich's link, it's a fantastic rod for £30. I couldn't believe the difference when I went from my standard bank jigging and drop-shotting rods to one of these - it meant I could use very small jig heads (down to 2g) and tiny lures but still keep in contact with them and fish them properly. On the heavier rods you lose all control over the really light lures and miss bites. The extremely light tip also means you feel/see tiny bites that you'd otherwise miss. It's great fun, I really recommend it :) Until we get some flow in the rivers, lure fishing is the only style of fishing I have any interest in, it is very addictive...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

That's really interesting - apart from dropshotting, where I tend to hold the rod up and watch the tip between twitches, I would say that all my bite detection is by feel. Most of my lure fishing is on rivers and gravel pits, though, I wonder if your canal fishing is necessarily a lot more subtle.

Ah, you buggers, I noticed that my local tackle shop has a Shakey in, so nipped down there to buy it. Had a chat with the proprietor, who did me a deal on a Blackrock Aventine UUL for only a tenner more than the shakey (though with only one of the two push-in tips). Very nice little rod!

Hi Steve,

I use this rod on the Thames and (if I had the chance!) on pits and ponds. I use 2g jig heads on the canal and 3g-5g on the Thames.

That chub was on a 3g jig head. The perch on a 5g.

I use the tip and feel to "see" the bites too. I have the Rockfish rod in both weights and it makes a real difference even using the "heavier" 3-12g one, such that I hardly ever use it!

• Like 1

Might be fun to do one on a day ticket bit of the Thames, maybe?

Or, depending on numbers, it is possible to book the marina at Lechlade for matches - would imagine it's possible to book it for a fish-in, though it's a fairly small venue.

Maybe the Hungerford canal, that's day ticket.

Me want one me want one!

Was hoping to get out drowning lobs for perch today but it's lashing down with a strong wind, incredibly mild though. Might get a chance later today and/or tomorrow morning

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back