Coppermill Stream and the River Chess

Craig T

Coppermill stream is a first class fishery (or it used to be) I havent fished it for about 7+ years but we used to fish it quite often at walthamstow where it used to be part of the Thames Water fishery together with a few reservoirs.

It was full of quality fish including Chub, Barbel, Carp, Roach and huge Perch to 4lbs+. there were some good swims on the downstream side of the main road but you have to be early to get them. but if you look for features you can find some excellent swims all along this stretch upstream of the road.

we often stood on the road bridge and fed the large Chub while we waited for the Day Ticket fishery to open. and it was like looking down into an aquarium it was so clear.

Whether it is still like this I dont know but we used to love fishing there.

The reservoirs also had some huge Bream plus some large Carp which we used to fish for.

Tight Lines

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

and it was like looking down into an aquarium it was so clear.

I went a couple of months back to have a look round, its was gin clear as you say but that top stretch was chocked full of weed/water lillies(?) and I didn't see a fish the whole length we walked.

Couldn't get access to the north side as the Reservoir was locked up.

Tony

Sounds like the Coppermill stream is no longer what it used to be and has now been ruined with the pollution etc.

What a shame as once upon a time it was a great fishery with lots of promise; with specimens of most species present.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I think you will find that the Coppermill Stream was decimated by comorants a few years ago to the point where the only decent swim was under the bridge.

A great shame as in its prime it was a superb fishery.

• 3 weeks later...

This weeks anglers mail reported a superb catch of huge Bream caught from the Carp lake at Walhamstow which is next to the Coppermill Stream and there are still a lot of big Carp in the lake.

But it is very sad to hear about the decline in the Coppermill stream as I know where I would rather fish when it was in its prime.

Edited by BoldBear

Hi All

When I lived in london and worked for thames water, (which was great as i could drive mywork van in to the site and unload right beside the swim, used to get some evils from the local carpers) i used to fish coppermills stream, caught loads of great fish that was about 3yrs ago. I have put threads up here before about how i fished it. From what i am reading now it sounds like that it has lost its draw. I remember great evenings fighting with Barbel, carp and big chub.

:cry::cry:

stc

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!