run rings

Andy_1984

just discovered these run rings

snagbits.jpg

the pear shaped bead can pull right over the top of a swivel at the narrower end leaving the other end exposed and free from obstruction.

i was looking for a the standard ones ive always used with ere its just a free running bead and ring. this one im not sure of its meant to be free running but i like it even more so because it can hide and protect your knot and its a nice tight fit aswel

i also found these ones which are inline not swiveled like pictured but im not quite sure about them.

Cac034.jpg

the plastic clip for these isnt very flexible and i could not for the life of me pull my weight off it after attaching the rubber, might work better in practice though

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Those lead clips should be illegal (not just banned) I have landed 3 very large fish which were towing them with the lead still attached because the tail rubber did not come off. If the swivel had been able to pull free, the fish would not have ended up towing a lead weight.

One of the fish (29lbs) had the most horrendous damage to the mouth.......................

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Those lead clips should be illegal (not just banned) I have landed 3 very large fish which were towing them with the lead still attached because the tail rubber did not come off. If the swivel had been able to pull free, the fish would not have ended up towing a lead weight.

One of the fish (29lbs) had the most horrendous damage to the mouth.......................

Den

den i dont think its the rubber thats doing it but rather the actual plastic eye, a lot of force was required to insert the weight, its just far to hard and unflexible, i wont be using them apart from maybe quik change running float adapter or something thats not going to cause danger to fish like your experience a paper clip would still be neded totaly defeating the purpose of them weight clips.

whats needed is a larger gap between the tube and the eye for a weight to easily slip out.

the other lead clip is great though serving 2 purposes

Why don't you use paper-clips and run-rings like I showed you? For what reason do you need these things? E.S.P. buffer beads protect your knot and John Roberts run-rings cost a quid. 100 paper-clips...a quid. Cheap, reliable, free-running weight-discharge system. The Fox so-called 'safety' lead-clips needs to be modified to actually discharge the lead. The leg needs to be trimmed or it stays locked inside the sleeve. I've seen someone break off using those clips. How many traces or fish to you have to damage before you know how much to trim off?? Dangerous if you ask me. The top ones you showed are the old style clips that Enterprise came out with but now they have an improved version, which I'll show below but why pay for something when a paper-clip does the exact same thing?

snag.jpg

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Why don't you use paper-clips and run-rings like I showed you? For what reason do you need these things? E.S.P. buffer beads protect your knot and John Roberts run-rings cost a quid. 100 paper-clips...a quid. Cheap, reliable, free-running weight-discharge system. The Fox so-called 'safety' lead-clips needs to be modified to actually discharge the lead. The leg needs to be trimmed or it stays locked inside the sleeve. I've seen someone break off using those clips. How many traces or fish to you have to damage before you know how much to trim off?? Dangerous if you ask me. The top ones you showed are the old style clips that Enterprise came out with but now they have an improved version, which I'll show below but why pay for something when a paper-clip does the exact same thing?

snag.jpg

i dont intend on using them for clipping on leads, i couldnt find the john roberston one just those top ones i pictured. all i got was the bead and ring not the rest of that crap. i still need to use a paper clip as ive always been taught ;)

just curious about those other lead clips but mate honestly as soon as i couldnt pull the lead out by hand i said to myself id never use them

Starting to get a bit of confussion between "run rings" and "lead clips" here I think.

I totally agree with Den about most "lead cips" though they simply just dont do what it says on the packet! Many carpers stand there smuggly lecturing on "safe" rigs but in fact are fishing totally unsafe ones themselves.Yes the manufacturers are at fault to an extent but the real blame is (IMHO) on the guy who uses somethng blindly believing the advertising blurb with out testing themselves.

Had some cracking carp out of Milton a few years back Den.................all on popped up sardine! And all trailing "safety rigs" made with lead clips.

Maybe Im a bit unfair on the manufacturers there though as this is realy yet another case of some piece of tackle not being "bad" but simply not used correctly? I still use lead clips but have to modify them slightly and be carefulll not to push the tail rubber on to far so they do work.Only troube s that on some makes you have to "modify" them so much that you end up dumping the lead in the slightest bit of weed or silt! And I dont think thats acceptabe either.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

i couldnt find the john roberston one just those top ones i pictured. all i got was the bead and ring not the rest of that crap. i still need to use a paper clip as ive always been taught ;)

Andy,Ive found the best free running "run ring" set up to be a polythene (as it foats) curtain ring.I simply use a cork ball as the stop "bead". Tie your lead to this with a lower BS link than your main line and no problems.Heres a picture (I sometimes cover the weak link with a bit of tubbing to stop it tangling)

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Rig-Section/Pi...adbait_rig.html

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Andy,Ive found the best free running "run ring" set up to be a polythene (as it foats) curtain ring.I simply use a cork ball as the stop "bead". Tie your lead to this with a lower BS link than your main line and no problems.Heres a picture (I sometimes cover the weak link with a bit of tubbing to stop it tangling)

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Rig-Section/Pi...adbait_rig.html

i made a couple of those rigs up last week a little diffrentlty ring>wire>tube>swivel>paper clip

reason for the wire is so that i can use it again and again and again all that will be lost is the paper clip and weight

Take your point Budgie about misuse, but it is the makers responsibility to ensure their products are totally safe. If they were dealing with childrens toys then the items would not be allowed for sale.

I have even seen someone put a split shot behind the tail rubber on the new Fox ones.."to stop the lead coming off"

No helping some people,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic