Freezing Rings !

Polly

.......... going to lake tomorrow night and worried about line freezing in rings, how can I stop this happening. Don't want rods getting pulled in while I'm tucked up in my bivvy.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

Buy some glycerine from the chemists and paint it on the rings with a cheap modelling or water colour brush after every time you cast out.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

The goo flyfisherfolk use for 'line dressing' is waterproof and prevents rings from freezing so no need to reapply so often.

Frozen lake surface can make landing a fish somewhat difficult but that requires cold for longer than freezing your rings would.

If it gets cold enough to freeze your rings off, pack up and go home.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The goo flyfisherfolk use for 'line dressing' is waterproof and prevents rings from freezing so no need to reapply so often.

Frozen lake surface can make landing a fish somewhat difficult but that requires cold for longer than freezing your rings would.

If it gets cold enough to freeze your rings off, pack up and go home.

On a lot of days piking it is quite normal for the rings to start to freeze up come last knockings.Just before you start packing up!Even during the day on a real cold one.

Ive only had the lake freeze me in the once though and that was in the days that I wasnt quite the full picnic basket and used to winter carp fish!

On the subject of freezing rings though this must be a pretty copnstant thing for ice fishers? I take it the line dressing "goo" is a plasticiser rather than a flotant?

I ask as in general Ive found its mainly the tip ring that ices up when Im piking (yes the wet braid does stick to the rings some times but not as bad).

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

All I ever had available was the floatant Budgie but it did the job nicely for me. Very thin layer was all it needed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Works on US ice so hopefully the UK stuff will bahave for you.

................. thanks guys, bottled it and stayed home I'm afraid but good advice for next time. Glycerine is the stuff then!!!

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.