News from Sweden...

Jan O

Hi Jan, I have never fished for salmon here in Ireland but I know the Blackwater and the Moy are great salmon rivers . Maybe I will have to try salmon fishing one day as I have never caught a salmon before and I only live a few hours drive away from those great rivers.

The waters I fish are great pike and brown trout waters. Occasionally I catch the large Ferox brown trout here but these are quite rare ,the best I have had was 12lb 4oz.

The pike here are my main target , they fight exceptionally hard and can get quite large.

Though finding them can be quite a challenge on these large waters,so I do quite a bit of trolling to locate them. Do you do much trolling in Sweden or do you cast lures only?

...I feel almost jealous... you must definitely visit those rivers... so close and so nice. Yes, we do at bit of trolling but only when necessary, its not that exciting, but efficient to locate fish. Sometimes we practise slowtrolling with pole and bait, roach or herring or whatever there is to find. This often produces big pike and is much more exciting than regular trolling... Soon the pre spawn fishing for pike begins in my nearby lake Mälaren, the ice is almost gone, we us big heavy jigs such as Alien Eel or Bull Dawg and fish a little deeper than normal. :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I feel almost jealous... you must definitely visit those rivers... so close and so nice. Yes, we do at bit of trolling but only when necessary, its not that exciting, but efficient to locate fish. Sometimes we practise slowtrolling with pole and bait, roach or herring or whatever there is to find. This often produces big pike and is much more exciting than regular trolling... Soon the pre spawn fishing for pike begins in my nearby lake Mälaren, the ice is almost gone, we us big heavy jigs such as Alien Eel or Bull Dawg and fish a little deeper than normal. :)

Hi Jan it sounds like your waters are warming up and you will be able to pike fish in your Lakes soon ,good luck ! The waters I fish have already warmed quite a bit as spring comes a bit earlier here , there are even some Swallows flying over the Loughs here now.

I do quite a bit of very slow float trolling with baits in the spring as this can sometimes produce the bigger fish here. When it warms a bit more I will switch more to casting Jerkbaits over the rocky reefs in the Loughs .

I also have had some success with trolling Bulldawgs, but have not tried vertical jigging yet .

If I am able to post some photos I will put them on here for you to see , if I cannot get them on this forum I will send some direct to you (I have had problems with posting photos and the system would not allow me to post photos when I tried before)

post-16571-1239130507_thumb.jpg

Hi Jan attached photo of my best fish from trip to Stockholm last year , I have sent other pictures from Ireland direct to you.

post-16571-1239446553_thumb.jpg

Hi Jan attached photo of my best fish from trip to Stockholm last year , I have sent other pictures from Ireland direct to you.

....very nice pics and fish... Did you hire a guide in Sweden? I know most of them... This lovely weekend i spent mostly with family and birdwatching... got an osprey fishing in my camera... :)

post-3321-1239685592_thumb.jpg

Guest tigger
....very nice pics and fish... Did you hire a guide in Sweden? I know most of them... This lovely weekend i spent mostly with family and birdwatching... got an osprey fishing in my camera... :)

Love the Picture Jan O.........looks like a Pike supper for the bird :)

Hi Jan great picture of the Osprey ,I also saw a few while I was in Sweden but did not get close enough to photo one.Yes I was with a guide when I fished there as it would not have been easy to fish those waters without one.

I have attached another photo from my local water in Ireland as I also like to take photos of where I fish when I get the right opportunity although my photos may not be quite up to your standard.

Did you receive the other photos from Ireland I emailed direct to you?

I have been out Pike fishing the last few days but the fishing here is fairly hard at present as I think they have just spawned recently and do not yet seem to feeding properly yet, hopefully soon they will feed well! Are you able to get out fishing on your waters yet?

post-16571-1239743968_thumb.jpg

Hi Jan great picture of the Osprey ,I also saw a few while I was in Sweden but did not get close enough to photo one.Yes I was with a guide when I fished there as it would not have been easy to fish those waters without one.

I have attached another photo from my local water in Ireland as I also like to take photos of where I fish when I get the right opportunity although my photos may not be quite up to your standard.

Did you receive the other photos from Ireland I emailed direct to you?

I have been out Pike fishing the last few days but the fishing here is fairly hard at present as I think they have just spawned recently and do not yet seem to feeding properly yet, hopefully soon they will feed well! Are you able to get out fishing on your waters yet?

Hi there, yes, I got your pics, lovely, it makes me wanna go back to "the Green Island". Just for fun I checked the prices att Blackwater Lodge, it has been raised since my last stay in 1995 ;) Maybe not surprising but it takes at lot of cash to enjoy salmonfishing theese days...Wich guide did you hire in Sweden? As I said I know most of them... A lot of pike is spawning at the moment, yesterday I fished just a few hours eith a good friend Lennart, he caught a nice fish 40,6 inches... approx 8 kilos. (not that pike in the pic)

post-3321-1239782050_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jan O

• 4 weeks later...

...my journey to Scotland was wonderful... the North Esk was a bit low and the fishing a bit hard. I managed to catch a nice springer, 32,3 inches on the Stracathro beat... The day after i played a 20 pounder+ in 20 minutes before it released it self... I became "Perfectly Numb" but got at seatrout short after, a little comfort... Lots of wonderful birds, nice seafood and lovely people made my stay to a life long memory, I will be back... :)

post-3321-1242039070_thumb.jpg

...finally, entlich... the spring fishing for zander is at its best... Couldnt resist fishing a few hours yesterday, vertical jigging on lake Mälaren. A beautiful evening and angry vampires, four wonderful fish with at nice 9 pounder as final fish... Its great to be alive!

post-3321-1242648568_thumb.jpg