Hook-up ratio when wobbling deadbaits

WayneX2

Not to rub it in at all but it looked very big to me :P

Rich

Cheers Rich!

That's the closest I've come to catching a decent perch this year. Serves me right really...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two points, here:

1. Hook sharpening. I bought a hook sharpener from Harris Angling a few years ago. I had read about the importance of it for Lure Fishing, particularly when the lure hit stones on the bottom, but I had 2 problems. First, I was never very confident the hooks were sharper afterwards than before. There may be no easy answer to that one. The lure sharpener I have is like a very small rectanglular file. I guess they're all like that?

The second problem was that I found the points of the hooks I had sharpened quickly went rusty, and with quite a few of the lures it wasn't possible to change the hooks without special tools. Ant comments appreciated.

2. The second point is about whether you should strike sideways. That was the advice in 'Crabtree' - to avoid hitting the bony roof of the mouth - but I've never heard it said since I came back to angling as an adult. What do people think about that?

john clarke

John did I send you that hook sharpener we disscused?

Only one worth a you know what in my opinion (as a cack handed idiot!) is the Diamond Ezee-Lap.Looks like a pen but when cover is off it has a narrow blade with a groove running down it.I must have explained how to use them before but they really are simple.Will see if I can find the post if not I will put up the instructions again.Last time I looked they were around £6 so not much money.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Two points, here:

1. Hook sharpening. I bought a hook sharpener from Harris Angling a few years ago. I had read about the importance of it for Lure Fishing, particularly when the lure hit stones on the bottom, but I had 2 problems. First, I was never very confident the hooks were sharper afterwards than before. There may be no easy answer to that one. The lure sharpener I have is like a very small rectanglular file. I guess they're all like that?

No. just get one of the small carborundum stones from your local DIY shop. They cost a couple of quid and will last you a season. Small hooks aren't as easy as bigger hooks to sharpen. Some hooks are easier than others because of the size/shape of the point.

It shouldn't take long to learn, basically just stroke the hook point at a slight angle down the stone bend-first.

I keep the stone in my pocket and it's almost second nature to check the points every now and then.

The second problem was that I found the points of the hooks I had sharpened quickly went rusty, and with quite a few of the lures it wasn't possible to change the hooks without special tools. Ant comments appreciated.

This happens with hooks which are coated - you knock the coating off when you sharpen them and that exposes the steel. If your hooks rust, dry them out when you get home. Open your rig bin and stick it on a radiator.

2. The second point is about whether you should strike sideways. That was the advice in 'Crabtree' - to avoid hitting the bony roof of the mouth - but I've never heard it said since I came back to angling as an adult. What do people think about that?

Don't think it makes any difference, it's easier to strike sideways if you've got a lot of line sunk as pulling it up through the water absorbs some of the force of the pull.

John did I send you that hook sharpener we disscused?

It never arrived, Budgie - let me know if you still have a spare, I'd be very happy to contribute!

Only one worth a you know what in my opinion (as a cack handed idiot!) is the Diamond Ezee-Lap.Looks like a pen but when cover is off it has a narrow blade with a groove running down it.I must have explained how to use them before but they really are simple.Will see if I can find the post if not I will put up the instructions again.Last time I looked they were around £6 so not much money.

You mentioned this before on a thread last June about bolt rigs for roach etc, so I'm assuming it will work for small hooks as well as spinning. Costs more than Chris's carborundum stone idea, but I guess the advantage may be that it is better for small hooks?

Edited by The Flying Tench

john clarke

8. Any other tips for a wobbling novice?

Thanks everyone

Hello Wayne

One tip I found helps increase hook ups that nobody else seems to have mentioned is the strike or as Leon says tighten up, I do this keeping the rod low a few inches off the water surface with plenty of side strain, pike have very hard bony plates covered in patches of teeth on the roof of their mouths by striking low and sideways it pulls the hooks more to the side of the pikes mouth hooking into the scissors or the slightly softer lower jaw edge, as apposed to pulling into the roof of the mouth where a shake of the head can easily dislodge the hooks, this especially applies at close range as you describe.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Tried wobbling roach the other day. 1st time ever tried a session devoted to wobbling. Didnt expect that much on my 1st attempt, but had 2 takes and landed them both. I just used semi barbless, one behind the dorsal and on in the lips. I find if you hook the bait in the lips and down the flank it end up bent and spins. It was freezing so I retrieved very very slow, with twitches and often long pauses. The bites were like nothing bites, could hardly tell between a bite and a snag. Even when I tried the usual method of leaving the rod tip raised and looking for knocks on the rod tip, there was nothing. only action was whem I tightened up and retrieved more line, then the fish woke up. Dont know if this is due to the cold, or them not knowing they were hooked.

Roach are excellent I found, last for ages. Remember in winter slow is key.

Edited by benhben