Are there any barbel in the Thames?

Jolanta Zofia Nowak

The question speaks for itself. I'd be grateful for any thoughts as to whether I can find this fish in the Thames and if so where.

i live no where near london but you are always hearing of big barbel coming out. I have heard fish up 17lb coming out.

Try right outside the walls of Hampton Court Palace, night fishing is against the local bylaws though and you may get nicked, it's locally known as Barbel Alley down there, I haven't fished there for at least 15 years now, but never failed to catch a beardie from there, but they never went much over 5lb then, but they do now...

Here is a link to the Barbel Fishing World web site . If you select 'Gallery' and select Thames you can see some Barbel caught in the Thames. Choose another river on the right you can see pictures of Barbel caught in other rivers as well.

As you can see you can catch some really nice Barbel in the Thames.

Unfortunately I have never fished for Barbel in the Thames, mainly because I like smaller rivers and streams where I can put some polaroids on and search for the Barbel; I have however fished for them in the Kennet and Lea which both eventually run into the Thames.

Chubstar has told you a good place where you can start; I have also heard others mention the Barbel at Hampton Court as well.

I would consider joining the Barbel Catchers Club and find out from other Barbel enthusiasts where the best areas of the Thames to fish for them are.

Also I would consider getting an EA - Thames Locks and Weirs Ticket

or maybe someone else on this forum can help you find them.

Good luck & Tight Lines, and let us know how you get on.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Thames bitween Sonning and Shiplake has plenty of Barbel but due to boats best fished after dark,Reading and district have a bit by sonning weir well worth a look.There is a small free bit by sonning bridge to. steve

Edited by JV44

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: