Best method/bait for Rudd?

Jolanta Zofia Nowak

in the summer fish on the drop only about a foot to two feet deap, bait id go for is maggot, keep feed going in to keep the schoal intertested, pole or wagler however they are more fun on the waggler

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

in the summer fish on the drop only about a foot to two feet deap, bait id go for is maggot, keep feed going in to keep the schoal intertested, pole or wagler however they are more fun on the waggler

I'd agree with this being the best method, but find caster to be a better bait than maggot for this. If you pick out the floating casters for hook bait then you'll get a much slower, more natural, drop which will help to pick out the better fish which tend to be warier.

Another method and bait that can work very well in the right conditions is to fish puffed wheat on the surface, this is particularly effective at dusk to pick out the best fish in a shoal - a friend had 20+ Rudd to just over 3lb from a local clay pit 2 seasons ago using this method. Not all in one session, but he averaged a couple of 2lb+ fish each visit, the lake is known to hold some exceptionally large Rudd with a high average size though. The lake's currently out of bounds due to building work and will be until 2009 so I've not had much chance to try for these monster Rudd, my PB comes from this lake though at 2lb 8oz.

Will

I'd agree with this being the best method, but find caster to be a better bait than maggot for this. If you pick out the floating casters for hook bait then you'll get a much slower, more natural, drop which will help to pick out the better fish which tend to be warier.

I agree with MJB & Will totally.

I fish an estate lake which has shoals of rudd roaming on the surface in the summer.

We fish for them like Will does; using floating casters which normally get taken either on the surface or just below (down to about 2ft max) we continually catapult about 10 to 15 casters every 30 secs and get them fighting for the casters.

Rudd as you most probably know already; have their lower lip longer than their top lip, plus their dorsal fin is set a little further back than the Roaches, so they are better suited to surface feeding wheras the roach is better suited for feeding on the bottom; (Although as you know they can both be caught at any level).

A nice golden flanked Rudd is a superb looking fish but unfortunately they see to be gettng a little rarer over the last few years.

Hope you are succesful with you Rudd fishing

Good luck and tight lines.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I've found the larger Rud feed better at night and have always caught on maggot. Also I've caught my biggest whilst ledgering for Tench !

A waggler-fished slow sinking bait like caster or sweetcorn on a warm summer's evening should do the trick. Not sure about the winter. The bigger ones are likely to be a little deeper than the small ones on the surface. I'd fish a couple of feet deep only. Keep the feed trickling in constantly.

There's a lake near me with some clonking rudd which I haven't got round to fishing for yet, thanks for the reminder!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Not much support for bread then?

I've heard they go for floated bread quite well, much like carp or roach.

Yeah but it's mainly a spring summer bait IMO. I don't think you'll have much luck with floating baits at this time of year. They also like floating caster and wasp grub amongst other floating baits in the warmer months.

Edited by tigger