I desperate need of advise . . .

Sutton Warrior

I have decided to keep the 70 for the time being as I dont think its a bad body, and concentrate on the glass. Most of the shots will be from the boat, (the thinking for this thread any way) which means movement or a fast shutter speed if a long lens is used. Obviously a tripod is not a lot of use? Which means my original thinking of a 70-300 of similar is a no no.

However, what about the new Super Zooms by Nikon 18-200 VMII and Sigmas 18-20 OS. The Nikon is a stop faster at the long end bit the Sigma is £150 cheaper!? Every one raves about the Nikon but I'm struggling to find any meaningful comment on the Sigma. Although both lenses are actually 27-300's in digital terms, I could use a converter 1.4 or 2, for extreme shots. Does the movement damping work if thus fitted.

Or has any one got a better idea??? The head really is spinning, going through Anadin like I have shares in the company. Can some one put me out of my misery. :wallbash:

SW

Hiya SW - unfortunately VR (or OS) is only good at removing the old hand shake. It can't completely make up for movement, especially when on a boat. For that, you need a faster bit of glass than the VR/OS lenses you have been looking at. If you can get an f2.8 of some description, that will probably be better than VR/OS in low light and/or when you need a higher shutter speed to freeze movement.

Most important - what sort of focal length might be useful and what is the budget? That would be useful to know in terms of what options might be best.

For general purpose stuff, though, the super zooms that you're talking about will give you a great deal of flexibility, but not necessarily sort out situations with low light/movement of subject matter. I guess your looking at a max aperature of 3.5-5.6 depending on focal length with an 18-200 VR/OS type lens. A teleconverter with that would be difficult in all but very good light.

Let me know what lenses you currently have and what focal ranges you thing you are missing or would be most important for your purpose.

Cheers,

Andy.

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

If your not overly worried about sharpness and having to possibly 'fix' the images then those zoom lenses may be ok for you.

No matter how stable you think the boat is, it will be no where near as stable as dry land. I know even on dry land it can be hard to get a sharp clear image handheld, so on a boat I would imagine the problem to get even worse. A tripod or monopod will help you get more keepers. For flexibility, the mono pod may suit you better.

I dont know much about the Nikon lenses but if they do a zoom lens with F2.8 all through the range I would go for that. If they dont I would go for the F2.8 fixed range.

Edited by J.K

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

SW

That's one of the most heart warming posts I've read in a long time. Good choice, and good luck. With everything. You've got a sound foundation there - look after the things that are dearest to you. The rest falls into place naturally. Enjoy life. There's only one chance to do that.

Back on to the lenses. I've been working my tail off this lat week, so not had a chance to look in recently.

The 70-300 VR that you've got gets very good reviews. In the 70-200 range, in good light, it's not so far off the stellar beast that is the 70-200 VR f2.8. Sure, there is something to be said for the 'pro' glass. It is renowned as a magical lens. But it costs £1100 and weights 2.5lb. I think you have one of the best 'prosumer' long zoom lenses made with the 70-300 VR. Don't change that.

The 18-200 is a magical walkaround lens from what I hear. It won't give you the high shutter speeds in low/bad light or to freeze fast action in anything but great light, but other than that, I think it suits your purpose to a T.

Post pictures, soon, and good luck with the D80. I have a D200, but I understand that the D80 is better than the D200 when it comes to high ISO pictures. Whatever your choice, you will have fun. And isn't that what photography is all about?

Take it easy.

Andy

Edited by Westie

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery