Bite indication when piking

Steve Burke

As I’m on a deadbaiting campaign at the moment I’ve been looking through my fishing library to get me thinking.

However I was very concerned with some of the advice given about bite detection. I’m not talking about just the early days of deadbaiting, but also modern supposedly up to date books.

On so many of these set-ups slack line bites and dropbacks would be hard to register; in some cases they wouldn’t register at all!

Not only would this mean missed opportunities, more importantly it could all too easily lead to deep-hooked pike or in inexperienced hands dead pike.

What are your usual bite indicators when bait fishing for pike and why?

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Steve,

I never went out to purchase a bite indicator (buzzer?)- listening to them on the bank I find them about as annoying as mobiles. I have always used the drop back or tight line methods. I feel more confident knowing that I can see a bite take place if not using a float. I also use braid which I think enhances the indication.

My own view is that relying on a buzzer causes complacency and more problems than its worth.

(added) I started to write a longer post but thought one line might be enough to sum up.

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

I know what you mean, Jeff, about buzzers being annoying. However I don't mind the noise myself (I sit right next to the rods and turn the volume right down). I feel it tells me what's going on and gives me early warning of a take.

Like you I seldom use a surface float when bankfishing stillwaters these days. The main exception is using a drifter float to cover a lot of water or reach distant spots.

One of the reasons is that a float requires more concentration. In fact you shouldn't take your eyes of your float(s) for more than a few seconds, including when you're playing or unhooking a fish on another rod. I find this tiring on a long day, plus it makes it difficult to scan the water for fish or watch other wildlife.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve I use Fox SX alarms up front and Fox swinger indicators on the rear rod rest, you can't really miss a bite with that set up.

Edited by tigger

When I was stationed on the Mississippi Gulf Coast I used a small bell attached to the rod tip. It was still noisy and I shied away from them even then Steve. With all the competition for food in that environment you never had to worry about a shy bite, you either had one or didn't and you definitely knew when you did.

Having not used a bite indicator Tigger, do you find less deep-hooks than you otherwise might? I assumed they came as one piece not two.

A few years ago I had an experience that convinced me I was better off not using one. There was a guy using a bite alarm. I thought he was completely enept, and unprepared. He really shouldn't have been after pike in my view which is why I mentioned complacency. In this instance he was doing everything other than paying attention to his rods. Mind you, a fish can without moving, inhale a bait leaving no indication whatsoever until it moves off. Can happen to anyone.

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

When I was stationed on the Mississippi Gulf Coast I used a small bell attached to the rod tip. It was still noisy and I shied away from them even then Steve. With all the competition for food in that environment you never had to worry about a shy bite, you either had one or didn't and you definitely knew when you did.

Having not used a bite indicator Tigger, do you find less deep-hooks than you otherwise might? I assumed they came as one piece not two.

A few years ago I had an experience that convinced me I was better off not using one. There was a guy using a bite alarm. I thought he was completely enept, and unprepared. He really shouldn't have been after pike in my view which is why I mentioned complacency. In this instance he was doing everything other than paying attention to his rods. Mind you, a fish can without moving, inhale a bait leaving no indication whatsoever until it moves off. Can happen to anyone.

Jeff the reason I use the alarm up front and the indicator at the rear is ...if you get a back bite (fish picks up bait and moves towards you it won't register a noise on the alarms but the rear indicators are weighted so on a back bite pull the loose line down and through the alarms causing your alarms to operate. You can actually use the back indicators on their own if you wish as they will register a bite either way but won't let out a noise.

Although Fox do a back indicator with an alarm specifically for Pike.

If you have your line tight to your hooks then it would be very unlikley a pike would take your bait without you having some indication.

Edited by tigger

Jeff the reason I use the alarm up front and the indicator at the rear is ...if you get a back bite (fish picks up bait and moves towards you it won't register a noise on the alarms but the rear indicators are weighted so on a back bite pull the loose line down and through the alarms causing your alarms to operate. You can actually use the back indicators on their own if you wish as they will register a bite either way but won't let out a noise.

Although Fox do a back indicator with an alarm specifically for Pike.

If you have your line tight to your hooks then it would be very unlikley a pike would take your bait without you having some indication.

Makes sense now. In fact I think I've seem Matt Hayes using the rear indicator.

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

My own view is that relying on a buzzer causes complacency and more problems than its worth.

Jeff,

A buzzer, in working order, is functioning 100% of the time. It is doing the work of your eyes and doesn't blink, get distracted and look the other way, look at its watch, or fall asleep (note, I said in working order).

I fail to see how that translates into complacency. I'd much rather see an attentive angler with buzzers than without them. Used properly, they're all part and parcel of a safe set-up.

Admittedly, some will abuse them, but so do those without them. Who here can honestly say they've never turned around and had a pee whilst fishing?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Makes sense now. In fact I think I've seem Matt Hayes using the rear indicator.

I forgot to mention that on a forward take the back indicators will drop off . You can get them on arms (like mine)or just loose on a chain/cord. The ones like mine are only about a tenner so they shouldn't break the bank if you needed some.

Jeff,

A buzzer, in working order, is functioning 100% of the time. It is doing the work of your eyes and doesn't blink, get distracted and look the other way, look at its watch, or fall asleep (note, I said in working order).

I fail to see how that translates into complacency. I'd much rather see an attentive angler with buzzers than without them. Used properly, they're all part and parcel of a safe set-up.

Admittedly, some will abuse them, but so do those without them. Who here can honestly say they've never turned around and had a pee whilst fishing?

Hi Elton,

It is possible that the individual in the experience that I spoke of had his set up incorrectly, and it did go off... Eventually. I ammended my post because I thought it possible that the fish he caught inhaled the bait and the indicator did not alarm until it started to move away. It was a double figure fish and I highly doubt it survived. From that experience I went from using two rods in tandem- one to cast a lure and the other to watch. I know only use one at a time. Neither is in the water at the same time.

I think it translates to complacency when, with it working order, you look at your watch, sleep, or otherwise abuse it so you can do other things. Once I am able to get back out I may very well buy one. Do you endorse a specific model? (added) Nevermind- I just reread the thread. Fox it was.

Steve- I didn't mean to highjack your thread!

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...