launching a boat for the first time

whiteshark

Hello,

I am going to launch my boat at aberdovey for the first time this week, is there anything I should know, or does anyone know of a slipway thats easy to use for a beginner ?

Ive got to get flares, vhf ect this week just wondered if any of you more experienced boat anglers can give me a few pointers ?

Aberdovey is relatively straightforward however a few pointers. First time launch I would do it 2 hours after high water. This means you are launching with falling water from the 'beach' and gives you some leeway for cockups. You will not be launching from the slip as the water falls away quickly.

Drive down the slip onto the 'beach' - keep to the stoney area unless you have a 4x4. I would launch and recover a few times to get the hang of it. This is hard work - but worth it. If you don't have a 4x4 (and perhaps even if you do) take at least 100m of towing rope- you may need it depending on how deep the water is.

Aberdovey bar is not to be trifled with- depending on the size of your boat - be very careful and remember at low tide there is only a couple of feet of water over it. With an onshore wind , and an ebbing tide, the waves stand up quite well!! Go very slowly and turn around if you are in any doubt. Follow other boats too and you'll get a good idea of the conditions.

If in doubt stay within the estuary and get used to the boat - make sure you have a good anchor (preferably two)in case you need to anchor in a strong current.

Hope all goes well. Remember that the channel markers are there for a reason - don't cut corners.

The safest way of learning how to use slipway facilities is go with someone who is experienced.

At the very least ask someone at the slip for help, most experienced people would be glad to help and give advise.

Have you had small boat experience or is this a new venture?

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

PS. Sorry I forgot to welcome you on board whiteshark, great crowd on here, some of them get a bit spicey at times but this is mostly due to youthful enthusiasm and a passion for sea angling. :D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Welcome indeed. In your haste to launch and catch a boatload of fish - don't forget to put the drainage bungs in. You only make that mistake once! :D

franticfisherman2:

don't forget to put the drainage bungs in. You only make that mistake once! :D

I dunno. I've done it twice I think. Called myself some very bad names both times though.

Also have forgotten to release the stern hold-down straps from the back of the trailer and wondered why the stupid boat wouldn't float off when I had the trailer in deep enough or on one occasion, why the stupid trailer seemed to be floating.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

All good advice, can I add a few bits, sorry if I am stating the obvious.

If you have trailed a distance it is worth letting the hubs cool off, dunk them hot into water and as they cool they will suck sea water in. When you recover it is worth giving the hubs a shot of grease to expell any water in there before you set off home.

Use the time to check you have everything, safety gear, chart, boat electrics, food and drink, fuel, warm and waterproof clothing, tackle and bait. You have put the bung in and removed the trailer board, prop bag and tie down straps. Undo the vent on the fuel tank. Ensure you have enough fuel in the tanks for your trip plus a reserve. If you are on a 2 stroke motor check you have sufficient oil. Walk the length of the slip if it is your first time. Some finish abruptly in a step, some can be very slippery with algae and weed, some are dog legged with a steep drop off at the sides, with this in mind it is a good idea if you put on your lifejackets whilst ashore. Tel someone when you are launching and your ETA ashore. Don't forget to repeat the call when you do come ashore.

Have your mate stand to the side holding the boat painter and directing you back, he has a better view of obstructions at the rear of the trailer than you and standing to the side makes him more visible to you. Avoid any sudden braking as if the slip is weedy you will skid, take your time and do not rush anything. Whilst you park up have your mate get the boat out so that the engine can be lowered and started to warm up on idle ready for the off.

It sounds a nightmare when written down but if it goes right it is the prelude to a great day afloat.

Good luck and tight lines.