launching a boat for the first time

whiteshark

Newt:

Originally posted by franticfisherman2:

[qb] don't forget to put the drainage bungs in. You only make that mistake once! :D

I dunno. I've done it twice I think. Called myself some very bad names both times though.

When I said you only do it once, I meant once with each boat :D

whiteshark:

Ive got to get flares, vhf ect this week just wondered if any of you more experienced boat anglers can give me a few pointers ?

Good luck with your first trip, don't be afraid of asking for help, usually lots of very valuable advice to be had from local folk.

In case you didn't know already you will need a VHF licence for the boat and a VHF operators certificate if you are planning to buy and use a VHF set. Well worth the investment though.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

You can get a cheap GPS for about £ 100 which will get you back to fishing spots and onto the beach if the fog comes in as long as you've remembered to press the "mark" buttom and set the slipway location in! A compass will get you to shore but even a cheap hand held GPS will put you on the slip in the fog/mist or dusk if you get caught out .....

Ask the local boat owners for GPS numbers for wrecks and better ground etc. They'll be more than happy to give you the well known ones. Get to know any local diving club/s, they are an invaluable source of wrecks and fishing marks !

Southernclive,

if you press "mark" at the slipway a GPS will get you back to the botom of it PROVIDED there is nothing in between you and the slip - a GPS provides straight line navigation only! If you go out of Aberdovey and then hit the GOTO to get back to the slipway you will run aground on the beach.

You have to plot in the waypoints for each change of direction required - such as to go around a breakwater - the GPS takes no account of obstructions and will drive you straight over anything between where you are and where you want to go if you just hit MARK and then use that as a return track!! TAKE CARE how you use GPS.

A chartplotter is far better because it gives you a GPS position ON a good quality chart, especially if you use the C chart system and the new Raymarine platinum system is just incredible - it includes a complete nautical almanac for the area covered on the chart. This includes aerial photographs, 3d imaging of both land and seabed, tidal streams, tidal height predictions for the time and date - so you have to set that accurately, even phone numbers of pubs, restaurants and marinas for the ports covered!!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Cheers men, had a good day thanks to simon, put us straight on a mark, after a very hairy trip through the bar!! didnt like that at all. 10mins on the mark that simon put us we had some great tope action and finished the day with about 20 fish !! plus a 7lb bass on the fluff. thanks again for your help and thanks simon i owe you one.