Backing Line

MikeT

I'm wondering how people prefer to load backing line onto spools. I've just taken delivery of a baitrunner reel, and need to load it with some 15lb (ish) braid on one spool, and some 8lb mono on the other. The line capacity of both spools provided is stated to be 240yds at 10lb diameter, so I'll be needing to bulk the spools up first, before loading about 70 yards of my chosen line.

I only ever load about 70 yards of main line, since I never need more than that (most of my fishing is within pretty close range) and it's easier to 'turn round' (i.e., swap ends, so the fresher line replaces the tired line) and replace this small amount of line on a frequent basis (I hate fishing with line that's not in tip-top shape). So this reel is going to need quite a bit of backing line to get the spool full enough that my main line reaches close to the rim.

But I don't want to make the reel any heavier than necessary with hundreds of yards of mono backing. Is 90lb boat-fishing nylon the answer? Or wool (as used in the Old Days)?

So, my question:

What's the best way to bulk up a spool?

Thank you, gentlemen.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

If you have access to a spare spool, try this

- load on the amount of braid you want.

- tie on backing and finish loading the spool to suit your preferences.

- take off that spool, put on another, and load line from the spare spool.

Backing is now at the bottom and you have a properly filled spool.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Whenever I go to the beach for a holiday I will always call in to the local tackle shop and pick up a cheap spool of 20lb sea fishing line. They usually cost no more than a couple of pounds. You could use wool but you will need to put it on tight to stop the main line from bedding in.

Ant

Edited by Anthony78

Effort equals reward!!