Coarse vs. Game

Houseplant

Jolanta's post about grayling made me think how ridiculous the distinction between coarse and game fishing is. It's totally artificial. I enjoy catching trout on 'coarse' gear and catching 'coarse' fish on fly gear. The old stereotypes of coarse and game anglers just don't hold true anymore, I can see little distinction on the basis of class or money and I know a lot of people who 'coarse' and 'game' fish. How about we just have freshwater fishing. What do you think?

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jolanta's post about grayling made me think how ridiculous the distinction between coarse and game fishing is. It's totally artificial. I enjoy catching trout on 'coarse' gear and catching 'coarse' fish on fly gear. The old stereotypes of coarse and game anglers just don't hold true anymore, I can see little distinction on the basis of class or money and I know a lot of people who 'coarse' and 'game' fish. How about we just have freshwater fishing. What do you think?

I'm not from around here but sounds good to me. I was under the impression that a Grayling was considered a game fish because it had an adipose fin which makes it a salmonid. I'm not sure I follow what you mean by artificial. Unless you a providing the distinction between the two. :D

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

I was under the impression that a Grayling was considered a game fish because it had an adipose fin which makes it a salmonid.

you're quite right. it's a game fish, but often targeted and caught by coarse anglers. a good example of what i'm talking about.

you're quite right. it's a game fish, but often targeted and caught by coarse anglers. a good example of what i'm talking about.

I know quite a few anglers who fly fish and the last species they would want to catch is a trout, there are so many species that can be caught on fly or fly derivatives (biscuit flies and pike flies, salt water flies etc), but I think the lairds in bonnie Scotland would never go for it, down here, there are more sea trout caught on worms or spinners than will ever be taken on flies, but that doesn't stop them from spending 8 times as much as us coursers for exactly the same stretch of river (we get 34 lakes too!) :thumbs:

You see the grayling was not considered much of a game fish historically to the majority of fly fishers so it was seen as fair game to the course anglers and the fly fishers tolerated the course guys fishing for it on game rivers during the fly close season. All of a sudden the fly fishing guys have decided that the Grayling is now a cool fish to catch on the fly.

I think there’s room for all, I would love to see more game rivers given over to course fishing during the fly close season

Were I sit in all this is that I am both a course and fly / game fisherman. I really think its better to keep the sports apart. Due to the conflicting methods used. You would not like to be sat in a swim when a fly fisherman come round the bend mid water in his waders and destroys the swim you have been baiting up.

I think all fly fishermen should have course fished and visa a versa. Both totally fantastic areas of our sport.

United we should stand and common appreciation for each others fishing should be upheld.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

I don't think the "true game anglers" approve of Grayling and at one time (maybe even now) their river keepers would net the rivers and kill the Grayling as it was thought to compete with the Salmon and Trout.

Due to the conflicting methods used. You would not like to be sat in a swim when a fly fisherman come round the bend mid water in his waders and destroys the swim you have been baiting up.

With my pike angler hat on and as someone who enjoys the roaming/lure fishing approach, I think I have far more in common with the fly fisherman than the chap who is sat on a seat box with a 16 metre pole.

With my pike angler hat on and as someone who enjoys the roaming/lure fishing approach, I think I have far more in common with the fly fisherman than the chap who is sat on a seat box with a 16 metre pole.

But what happens when you get someone just like me, sitting on a box with a 13 meter pole one day who also enjoys the roaming/lure fishing approach the next, amongst other methods but never have casted a fly.

Coarse vs. Game, Sounds like a night out at my local clubs agm. Game fishermen complaining about coarse anglers sitting in the middle of a run and coarse anglers complaining about Game fishermen having a go for barbel with no unhooking mat. Or why have we got another game water we need a carp lake. I think its great as there is always plenty of empty chairs in the middle of the room to sit on.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep