A 'Mrs' Sir David Baily in the making . . .

Sutton Warrior

What a great weekend it has been, loads of sun, Hazel and I have spent the whole time together, walking the dog, me taking pics and frustrating myself, nothing was looking right!!! Then Sunday morning I discovered the computer screen was not set right! Stop blaming the camera!!! <_< Midday, sun is the worst with harsh shadow, haze loads of UV.

Sunday midday, with the D80 reset we ventured to the marina again, cant do anything about the harsh sun and high UV. But it was warm, almost balmy, Hazel wanted to have a go with her new P&S. . . Well as a camera it worked fine, however we had failed to appreciate the high level of hand-eye coordination required to operate the new (modern) viewfinder less P&S's. Something which, bless her, Hazel is lacking in!

Mmm, so not to be defeated, I gave her my Canon A640 P&S with a view finder, tiny it might be but Hazel sorted it, pictures, er . . . snapshots were soon craming onto the memory card ! She then wanted to see how my D80 felt . . . :huh: OK, said I, hold it a bit like a hand gun and support the lens (barrel). Remember . . . 'low on hand-eye coordination'!!! She's not that bad, but arms on front of you, bright sun, so the screen is hard to see . . . seen some of the efforts I make with my 640 :P Whoever set this vewfinderless ball rolling needs shooting!

"That was easy" says Hazel, "I want a camera with a view finder" says she! :lol:

D80/Hazel

MarinaHazelD80DSC_0014.jpg

A640/Hazel

MarinaIMG_0761.jpg

D80/Hazel

PathHazelD80DSC_0011.jpg

I have done nothing to the above apart from a small amount of crop. The light is awful, but I think she has an eye, nothing to worry Sir David, but give it time . . . ?

She dont want a D80 :o . . . thank god, a little heavy, I think the A640 is fiddly with such a small view finder and only 80% coverage, I have to make allowances all the time when I use it, its a great tool for the glove box though. My thoughts are going towards, a Panasonic FZ50, I think Nurse Judy uses one? Some darn good shots there. Everything in a single package, to satisfy the amateur who does not want to bother with the more anorakish side of our hobby B)

New member in the wings me thinks?

SW

PS appreciate any comments on a suitable viewfinder equipped, light, no fuss camera for Hazel.

Edited by Sutton Warrior

D40/D40x? Unless you want to keep all those nice lenses to yourself ;)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

D40/D40x? Unless you want to keep all those nice lenses to yourself ;)

:lol::lol: Yeh, I had considered the option. But remember the lack of hand-eye coordination? . . . no telling where she would be trying to screw a lens . . . B)

It is on the list, but have you tried to put a D40 in a hand bag . . . with a 50-500 Sigma telephoto :lol::lol:

SW

I love my camera but i would also like a lighter more handbag size for the quickie unplanned shots.

the panasonic is great ,i use the tilt screen alot ,if hazel needs to look at my pictures i dont do anything to them except crop sometimes.the viewfinder has adjustable optic things which is good as i can sometimes take my giggs off to take a picture.the price has certainly dropped,and there is a new version out the mega pixels have dropped to 8 but the optical zoom is up to 18...the antishake thing is good too.... not sure if this will help

judy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Well what do you know, sitting feeling bored, searching the net looking for a camera for Hazel . . . just had a call from the garage, £200 to fit a new fuel pump to my car!!!****

It spurred my mind to a new level, cameras cost money! so do cars! my car earns me a living. So a rethink, I did not throw away my old 'PowerShot 50', despite the fact that I believed it had blown its CPU chip again. Dig in the draw, find it, in another draw for the charger and yet another draw for a CF card. Sure enough, take a pic, computer cant find it!

<_< Search though the menus, nothing wrong? Then an inspiration, look at the camera settings . . . :blink: it was set on RAW, I have no active RAW program on my computer at present. Change the setting on the camera to JAPG, bingo :P Hazel has an excellent camera with 'view finder'. I took some great pics with that little 'lovely'.

No idea how the menu got changed? These things dont do themselves, so I must have done it and forgotten :doh:

All ends happy ever after?? . . . well, thats until I go to the garage to morrow, pay for a service . . . and . . . a new fuel pump ***** <_<

SW

Seems to me, you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a camera SW :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic